The Swineapple

TrickyDick

I'm sure that many of you've seen the facebook post of some brave BBQ'er who hollowed out a pineapple and removed the outer bark, then stuffed rubbed country style boneless por ribs into the hollow, and finished the pineapple with a bacon weave and another rub application. Claimed to be smoked at 240 for 5 hours.

I've tried to get some more information via the interwebs but nothing that I'd trust.

Has anyone tried this yet? I got my pineapple today, and its pretty darn ready to go (For all you who can't tell, the entire outer hexagon shaped fruits turn golden yello and it begins to soften and smell, well, ripe, when its ripe and at its prime). I'm letting it sit until later in the week for dinner on Friday or Saturday.

Worst case scenario, call the pizza delivery guy, but seems that the plan is legit. Just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has tried this before??

TD

I did one this weekend using the info I saw on Facebook.
It is pretty close. It was a little messy, but good I would describe it as a novelty entree.
The bacon and the pineapple were very good, but I was a little disappointed in the country style pork ribs, they were a little dry. I thought they would be super moist and juicy. I cooked for about 5 hrs at 240 deg until I read the pork temp at 160.

Things I would do diferently next time:

1. Do the bacon weave. I just wrapped and the bacon didn't stay with it very well.
2. Maybe pre cook or smoke or sear the ribs before stuffing into the pineapple. It might reduce the cooking time.

HTS

68sting

I would coat the pineapple in brown sugar and cinnamon to make it similar to Toscano's grilled pineapple. It's to die for. I will try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrickyDick

Coat the pineapple before the bacon weave?
I was planning to apply rub to the bacon.
Will do some pre-cooking on those country style ribs. Never was a huge fan of those type of ribs.
I'm doing some stuffed pork chops tomorrow and I'll throw the ribs on for that (300ºF x 1 hr). Think that's too hot for ribs? Maybe I throw them on during pre-heat, and then take them out and re-set Mak to smoke while eating dinner and put them back in for a couple hours?
TD

68sting

Yes before the bacon. I'm going to try it with a pork tenderloin instead of ribs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrickyDick

I fully cooked the country style ribs, and then trimmed them a bit, prior to assembling the product. Will take a final picture and post some tonight.

RH

TrickyDick

Well the ribs are here. Not totally tender but fully cooked and tender enough to eat.
24b7002ff2a6fccf53c1c0b18a8540b9.jpg
d757694b5e8ddf6669de94cd27b189ee.jpg
7a2d6cbb19ce4974b86c373480fcec24.jpg

On the MAK now at 250 bbqers delight apple pellets.
Applied some dk brown sugar and little cinnamon to weave on inside then wrapped and applied cherry basalmic glaze, BPS sweet money rub, and spritzed with Meyer's dark rum.
TD.

TrickyDick

Well, I ever so slightly overcooked this. Bacon and outermost layer of pineapple was ok.

the pork... well, it was absolutely disgusting. Mushy mealy texture and flavor was nasty. The pre-stuffed cooked ribs were pretty decent. I think the pineapple juices do something chemically to the pork for the extended cooking time that probably mushes up the meat, like meat tenderizer. It also changed the flavor and permeated the pineapple with a nasty flavor. The initial tasty outer bark-like flavor of the ribs vanished.

I think for swineapple 2.0 some changes:

1. cook stuffing separate from pineapple then stuff before serving.
2. substitute pulled (and sauced) pork for the ribs, I think the texture would be a better complement than ribs. Maybe with a teriyaki sauce.
3. sub honey for the glaze
4. omit cinnamon. clashed with other flavors.
5. add brown sugar and cayenne to the Sweet Money rub - more like a candied bacon, or omit the rub and just use sugar and cayenne.

Could probably cook the pineapple more like you'd do candied bacon as well, even in a conventional oven. Could do different stuffing also, I think a picadillo type stuffing might work too.

TD

Top Bottom