This weeks Contest Come on Rookies! 11-11-11

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I know I cant force people top enter but it would be great to see more than the same 6 people! Come on Rookies and Lurkers Give them a run for their money

1st place $25 doilar store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
2nd Place $15 dollar store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
3rd Place $10 dollar store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 to everybody else who enters Free Store Credit!

sparky

Sparky's Friday Night Ribs

okie dokie. i will go 1st.

da players.

PB100005.jpg

and

PB100004.jpg

simply marvelous darling.

PB100006.jpg

upper shelf. good idea.

PB100010.jpg

a little flippy, flippy.

PB100012.jpg

time for goodies.

PB100018.jpg

the big rack got berry pepper jelly (wife & daughter's). little one is mine and got the coffee sauce (oh, i like the flavor).

PB100015.jpg

and Waa La.

PB100023.jpg

these were fantastic tasting ribs. love the pepper jelly & the coffee sauce. ok, i believe that should do it.

i will say one thing. it's 35º and dark outside. it be cold outside when you in your jammies and slippers. burrrrrr.....

Last edited:

Chili Head

Peppred Beef Tip Roast with Cheese Twists and Salad

Todays dinner was a peppered beef tip roast with home made cheese twists and a salad.

Tonights ingredients.

1010.jpg

First up was to get the tip roast seasoned and into the fridge. I used a 3 pound roast for this and the following ingredients.

1 ts dried mustard
1 ts cracked peppercorns
1 clove minced garlic
1 ts olive oil

Mix the spices with the EVOO and cover the roast. Once the roast was seasoned it was covered and put into the fridge for a couple of hours.

1012.jpg

1014.jpg

1015.jpg

Next up is the batter for the cheese twists.

The ingredients for the twists are:
1 cup of flour
1/2 ts of baking soda
1/2 ts of dried mustard
1/2 ts of salt
1/8 ts of cayenne pepper
3/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of butter
3 egg yolks
2 ts of water

All of this went into the kitchen aid until the mixture became crumbly.

1019.jpg

1025.jpg

1026.jpg

continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Next the dough was rolled out and sliced up into 1/4 inch strips.

1028.jpg

1029.jpg

1030.jpg

Take two strips and twist them together.

1031.jpg

Alright now its time to fire up the MAK! I ran it up to 400°.

The plan was to use 100% wine soaked pellets for this cook tonight but the auger kept jamming up with them. After three tries I gave up and mixed plain oak with them to get them to feed without issue, about a 60% oak and 40% wine mix.

First in was some bacon I used in the dessert..I'll explain later.

1032.jpg

The cheese twists went in once the bacon was done for 6 minutes.

1042.jpg

Once the twists were done I lowered the temp to 275° and put in the tip roast. When the internal temp of the roast hit 150° I took it out and covered it with a foil tent and let it rest 10 minutes.

1045.jpg

1049.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

Next up was to put the salad together and get it all plated.

The salad consisted of iceburg lettuce, oranges, beets, red apples, roma tomato, raspberry vinaigrette dressing and sunflower seeds.

Here we have it plated up.

Some salad, cheese twists and a few slices of the peppered tip roast.

1053.jpg

1054.jpg

1057.jpg

The peppered tip roast turned out great! It was melt in your mouth tender with just the right amount of pepper and garlic that it needed no extra seasoning once on the table.

The salad was refreshing and light and the acidity of the dressing went well with the oranges and apple and the salty sunflower seeds. The salad had a traditional feel with the beets and tomatoes added. The cheese twists were light and crispy and was a nice change of pace from sliced bread. After washing it down with a cold glass of milk I would say this dinner was excellent!

Now you may be wondering whats for dessert that had bacon in it..

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

I only eat dessert once a week so I had to make something...
So I made ..CIRCUS FREAKS with chocolate drizzled oranges !!

The dessert ingredients.

1034.jpg

16 ounces of semi sweet chocolate
2 bananas
5 tb smooth peanut butter

Melt your chocolate slowly in a double boiler.

1038.jpg

To make the circus freaks I peeled the bananas and sliced them into one inch pieces then halved the pieces. I cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces as well.

1035.jpg

Take a piece of banana and smear some peanut butter on the flat bottom side of the slice and then add a pice of the bacon over the peanut butter. Run a toothpick through the bacon and the banana so you can hang on to it whild dipping it.

1036.jpg

Dip them into your melted chocolate and place them on a non stick sheet and remove the toothpick. Once they were covered with chocolate I placed them in the fridge to get them to set up. The orange was peeled and had the chocolate drizzled over them.

1061.jpg

I just figured out how to take non blurry close ups! :cool:

1064.jpg

1065.jpg

WOW!! This was the first time I made these and they were good!
I wasnt sure what I was going to make for dessert today and I remembered seeing these awhile back somewhere and since I already had everything in house already..why not!

I'm glad I added the orange slices because the circus freaks were very rich! After a circus freak I ate an orange to refresh the palate and ate another circus freak then another orange ect hehehe. A glass of milk was needed for this dessert!
Rich, chocolatey, citrisy..perfect!

I hope you like it!

squirtthecat

A Bevy of Boulders

Turkey prices are dropping as we approach Thanksgiving, so I picked up a couple bone-in boulders and a couple more baby boulders..

Annie's and Head Country bringing the flavor.

IMGP7228.JPG

Getting some Apple smoke love on the top shelf.

IMGP7237.JPG

Our resident turkey hound.. ;)

IMGP7224.JPG

We'll check back in a few hours. They were still pretty frozen in the middle.

--

Getting closer.

IMGP7242.JPG

These 3 are done.

IMGP7254.JPG

And the stubborn one is ready to come off.

IMGP7256.JPG

I let them rest for a while and then piled into the fridge. A couple are 'giveaways', and the others will be sliced up here for dinner/lunch/etc.

I'll use the carcasses for some stock.

Susan

Quinoa Meat Loaf with Spicy Tomato Chutney

I mixed the ground beef, pork and veal with chopped celery, shallots, garlic, carrots, Dijon mustard, ketchup, a beaten egg and black pepper and used cooked Qunioa to bind it all together. After kneading it all together I formed the meatloaf and wrapped it in a frog mat and put it on the Weber with hickory pellets.
11-13-2011002.jpg

11-13-2011003.jpg

11-13-2011005.jpg

For the chutney, I sautéed chopped shallots, fresh tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. I seasoned the mix with some chili powder, red pepper, sugar and Balsamic vinegar and simmered it until it began to thicken and was reduced by half.

I plated the meatloaf with mashed red potatoes and steamed green beans.
11-13-2011007.jpg

The meatloaf was moist and tasty. The tomato chutney was a nice combination of hot and sweet but would have been better without or with less sun dried tomatoes. Not too bad for just winging it.

Thanks for looking.

1st Brisket on the MAK

Finally got around to trying my first brisket. Started with Worcestershire as the glue and Old No. 2 Brisket Rub from the Texas BBQ company:

IMG_3402.jpg

In the middle of the night, I put on the MAK on SMOKE for three hours and then 225°F until the temp probe went into the brisket like butter (around 198°F).

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

FTC for about an hour:

IMG_3412.jpg

Sliced up:

IMG_3413.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_3417.jpg

Turned out very well. Next time I will foil at 165°F and see how it compares. Not disappointed for first one!

SmokinSooner

My Rookie Entry: Carl Sagan Day Dinner

Being a rookie, I hope this is good enough for consideration even though it's a pretty standard menu. I thought, "Why not, the Sooners are off this week and it's Carl Sagan Day." So, here goes...

Apple Pellet Smoked Chicken: Annie's Garlic Oil was out at the store :(; Simon & Garfunkel rub (minus the parsley!); salt; chicken broth with some rub inside chicken cavity (i.e., the butt).

Before the oil and rub (1 for dinner, 2 for the freezer):
i-jWmPcMv-M.jpg

After an hour on smoke—onto 350 until reaching an internal 160 per the Boss:
i-CTPTLMH-M.jpg

Post resting period:
i-m5kfqPk-M.jpg

Gratuitous action shot:
i-TrZw77d-M.jpg

Plated dinner with our favorite beverages—beer for me, cider for my wife.
i-ZpFSkR2-M.jpg

Roasted potatoes, carrots and onions: Garlic oil, salt and Simon & Garfunkel rub.

Going on the MAK-sized, upside down Grill Grates in the Hasty Bake:
i-5DtVCDD-M.jpg

In honor of Carl Sagan Day, Apple Crisp (admittedly not an apple pie, but close enough!) and Cosmo.

Crisp ingredients ready to be assembled:
i-PQRD2GZ-M.jpg

Crisp going on the MAK with apple pellets at 350 for an hour:
i-rnxzCSq-M.jpg

Desert plated up with cosmo and a few scoops of Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream:
i-kkdSMSn-M.jpg

Thanks to Big Poppa for putting these little contests on and to MAK grills for the great pellet grill. Also, thanks for everyone else who's active on the forum, especially this week's judge!

bflodan

Tomahawk Rib Eyes!!

Picked up 2 Tomahawk Rib Eyes from the butcher... They where about 2.5lbs apiece... Rubbed with a little garlic evoo and the usual favorites!

096.jpg

Made some scalloped potatoes with English Chedder and Fresh Parm..

097.jpg

Both onto the smoker running 275 till an IT of 120 on the steaks... Steaks into the warming box and the MAK to high with my searing grate..

100.jpg

103.jpg

Made a Blu Cheese, Onion and Shallot sauce.... Sauteed onion and shallot with some butter till browned.... Thickend with heavy cream and reduced then added fresh blu cheese crumbles till melted...

104.jpg

107.jpg

Pulled steaks and potatoes after about a 3 min sear per side..

108.jpg

106.jpg

Removed the bones and sliced up for the four of us...

110.jpg

112.jpg

This was by far the best tasting steak I have done on the MAK yet!! The blu cheese sauce was fantastic... We where missing the spring mix salad, opened the bag and it just did not look right but I wasnt complaining!!

FLBentRider

Tailgate Briskets

The Players - two choice briskets from Sams club:
DSC_1540.jpg

The rubs - Wild Willys number Onederful rub
1/4 cup coarse black pepper
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp chilli powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne

DSC_1541.jpg

"Salt Lick" clone

3 parts Kosher salt
3 parts Black pepper
1 part granulated garlic
1 part cayenne pepper
1 part unsweetend cocoa powder (this is my addition)
DSC_1542.jpg

Rubbed and ready for a rest in the fridge:
DSC_1543.jpg

DSC_1544.jpg

Onto the MAK with Perfect mix pellets. four hours on Smoke, then 225F
DSC_1545.jpg

To be continued...

FLBentRider

Tailgate Briskets part 2

The next morning:
DSC_1546.jpg

By 0800 into FTC for the ride to the stadium
DSC_1549.jpg

Here we go
DSC_1550.jpg

DSC_1551.jpg

DSC_1552.jpg

The pellets are being exchanged roadside with a member of another forum, part of a bulk deal.

Deb

ok, here goes...... this is never easy because as usual there is nothing posted that I wouldn't love to eat! Great job everyone.....

3rd - bflodan and his Tomahawk Rib Eyes --- though it's not the rib eyes that caught my attention - it was the scalloped potatoes, I love cheesy potatoes. The rib eyes are beautiful and the blue cheese sauce a flavorful added bonus.

2nd - Susan & her Quinoa Meat Loaf , mashed red potatoes and green beans........ I have been having serious cravings all weekend and comfort food so fits into those cravings ....... I love the quinoa spin on the meatloaf, what a perfect way to make a meatloaf healthier, I'm always looking for new ways to do that.

1st -- to the ROOKIE, SmokinSooner & the Carl Sagan Day Dinner -- way to hit it out of the park, beautiful chicken - I love the herbs under the skin, roasted veggies are the best and the apple crisp with ice cream just finsihed it off. I'll take apple crisp over pie anyday. SmokinSooner said "I hope this is good enough for consideration even though it's a pretty standard menu" -- Yes, it's definitely "good enough for consideration" ;) - Congrats!

Susan

Nice cooks SmokinSooner and bflodan! Congrats! Every week I find new and yummy ideas! I just need to find a way not to drool on my keyboard....

Top Bottom