To foil or not to foil?

SoDakSmokerGolfer

Hope everyone is finding their Wed. to be wonderful!

With the 2012 version of the MAK 2-star how has everyone else handled (or not) using foil on the flame zone pan/covers?

If your are using foil here... how? Looks like would be challenging to foil the flame zone pan and then the covers... or just the covers?

Does the foil really help with clean up?

I will be doing the first burn in on mine tonight... just wondering to foil it up after that? Or just let go as is.

Pappymn

I am new as well and I have foil on the flame zone pan as well as the two covers. I have had #1,000 for two months I think. I think the foil is impeding my high temps, but I am not sure. With that said when I do my next cook, I am taking off all the foil. Also, changing foil periodically is getting to be annoying.
Gonna try the Sparky method for awhile and just turn the Mak on high.

RickB

Last time i did a pork butt i did not foil the pan. Got a litte filthy but poped it into the self clean oven and no problem. Clean as a whistle.

So Cal Smoker

If you have a gas grill, take the grates out and put the pan and or grates from the MAK in the gaser and burn the stuff off. Quick and easy.

Big_Jake

I foil the flame zone covers,it's really easy to put on and take off.When not using the flame zone covers I foil the flame zone tray and use a metal chopstick to poke holes in foil.I used my unit once without foil and it takes longer to scrape all the crap off than it does to just foil so I do it that way.And yes I know most people will disagree with my method. :cool:

MAK DADDY

I put a pc of foil down whenever smoking big fatty cuts like pork butts or brisket, it does help the clean up quite a bit. All other short dinner time type cooks or baking etc. no foil. There is no right or wrong answer, do what makes you happy :)

dospelotas

Foiled Again!!! I don't think so....

Thought I would share an "experience" I had using foil on my (2012 MAK 2 Star General) drip pan and flame zone covers. It goes like this:
1. Brand new MAK and trying to keep it clean and new looking.
2. Used non stick foil "smaller size roll" and had to overlap two pieces.
3. Poked holes for every single flame zone exit making sure it was tight and unrestricted.
4. Covered the flame zone covers for indirect cooking.
****** AND SO I COOKED MY FIRST BRISKET ******
5. 11 hrs. and it turned out great.
6. Next day I cooked 3 spatchcocked chickens (just like Big Poppa's video) except!!!
7. I left the old foil from day before doing brisket. (lazy, stupid, dumb, whatever)
8. about 3/4 way of my cook i decided to flip the chickens
9. All the grease and liquid from the chickens poured out drenching the burnt dropping from the day before and would not freely drain into bucket.
10. I also found that the grease became trapped under the foil by entering under one piece of foil laid over another. If I ever use it again I will surely make the splice to allow grease to flow (right side of drip pan first / left side second).
********GREASE FIRE RESULTED*******
Last but not least in my efforts to keep my new MAK immaculate I experienced a frightening and embarrassing grease fire. I didn't think I had my fire that hot but my thought is the trapped grease under the foil as well as the saturated brisket drippings from the day before allowed the heat zone get the chicken grease to flash point.
I Post this hoping it will benefit and possibly save someone from a very dangerous situation.
Jeff in Texas

Big_Jake

This is why I clean and re-foil after every cook.And if I do not foil (only once so far) scrape all the crap off the flame zone.I also put the grates in the dishwasher once so far and they came out really clean.It's so easy to clean the MAK there is no reason to do so,especially after a bg cook like brisket.

Btw dospelotas not dissing you at all.Just more of a heads up for you and anyone else reading the post here. :D

MAK DADDY

Once you get it all cleaned up let us know if it's working properly, if not we will send you whatever parts you might need :) Glad your safe!
For everyones info if you ever do have a grease fire unplug the grill, don't open the lid and let it burn out.

dospelotas

Exactly what I did. Unplugged pellet boss, put my BIG BLACK GOVES ON, pulled the chickens and let fire burn out . I still finished my cook but "stress and anxiety" stole the show. Next day I spent several hours cleaning using easy off oven cleaner and every thing was back to new. ANOTHER NOTE: don't let "easy off" stay on your powder coat too long it oxidizes and turns it black. The grease fire was only on the foil so other parts of my pit were unscathed.
Jeff in Texas

Kite

No foil here.. and I use a dedicated putty knife to clean off the crud before each cook. I also have a dedicated scrub brush and plastic tub to remove grease from grates. Once I used a pressure washer and it worked great.

scooter

I put a pc of foil down whenever smoking big fatty cuts like pork butts or brisket, it does help the clean up quite a bit. All other short dinner time type cooks or baking etc. no foil. There is no right or wrong answer, do what makes you happy :)

That thud you guys may have just heard was me fainting.... ;)

Chili Head

I don't foil nothing and never have. I do scrape it with a steel scraper everytime i clean the smoker. If scooter saw my drip pan he would go into a coma. My pit is very well seasoned :D

KyNola

I don't foil nothing and never have. I do scrape it with a steel scraper everytime i clean the smoker. If scooter saw my drip pan he would go into a coma. My pit is very well seasoned :D
I'm with CH. My smokers are all very well seasoned. No foil, never will. A properly seasoned grill simply cooks better, just like a properly seasoned cast iron skillet.

If some of you saw some of the commercial smokers in Western Kentucky you would run screaming out of the building! :)

squirtthecat

I used to foil the drip pan, but I'd end up scraping parts of the foil off with a putty knife, so I just cut out the middle-man..

(not to mention that big wide heavy foil is $$$ around here)

Top Bottom