Turkey - help!

Kite

So I am reading the manual that came with my grill (I know it is strange, my wife LOVES to tell everyone how I enjoy reading manuals.. seriously, I do) and I get to the section describing internal temps of different meats. I already have my next 2 cooks planned - ribs and then a turkey that I have in the freezer. Well, I am not sure how big the turkey is, but knowing me, it is BIG. The Memphis manual says "Not recommended" for turkeys over 16 pounds. Is there a problem cooking a turkey over 16 pounds on a pellet grill?

AikenSmoker

I did an over 16 lb turkey on my Traeger 300 last TGiving and it came out amazing. Use a good temp probe and let it set for a short time before carving. I seem to remember mine taking about 3.5 hours at a roasting temp. Made another at CMas and was not as good but traveled 2 hours in a cooler after cooking. I needed a lower final temp with that much time before serving.

Kite

Well I couldn't see any reason why not, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. When the manufacturer says not to do something I always want to know why before I give it a try.

Kite

Wow! Great tips. I went searching all over the place and then finally openned my eyes and saw it was a sticky at the top. Sheesh, I can really be blilnd some days. I am not sure what is in the freezer, but I will take it out for a practice cook in a few weeks. I will take pics and share..

trniccumrn

I did an 18lbs Turkey bird in my Traeger! It came out fantastic. I agree with the above post, "if it fits cook it!" Keep in mind that as it rests it will continue cooking, usually between 5 - 8 %. Good luck and enjoy your grill!

Top Bottom