Venison snack sticks

Moomtaz

Has anyone tried making them on a pellet grill? If so, what kind of results have you had. Can you please give me some tips as I have never made any kind of sausage before... Just trying to branch out...

TentHunter

Yes, I've made snack sticks, summer sausage, etc. on our pellet grills and they were great! Venison snack sticks are my favorite.

Here's a thread where I did some on the MAK and discussed technique, etc.: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet...ay-ham-sausage-cheese-spread-3239/index2.html

A couple of tips:

- Load your sausage/snack sticks into the grill BEFORE turning it on. That way the sausage can warm up more slowly along with the grill. Plus it takes advantage of the extra smoke during the warm-up.

- Run your pellet smoker in smoke mode (hot smoke temps 165° - 185°) and DON'T RUSH IT with higher temps or you can experience a fat-out.

- For even better results, get one of the A-MAZE-N pellet smokers and run it for at least an hour before even turning the grill on. Even though it's a cold smoke, it will still provide enough heat to start tempering the fat in your sausage.

- Do NOT take a chance on botulism! Either use a pre-mixed seasoning made for summer sausage/snack sticks that contains sodium Nitrite, or if you mix your own, then be absolutely sure you are using the proper amount of Cure #1. This contains 97.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite and is used at the rate of 1 level teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat. Some common brand names are: Prague Powder #1, InstaCure #1, DQ Cure #1.

Top Bottom