Visiting Europe

383inTheD

I will be making a trip to Europe and would like to solicit any recommendations before I go. I'll be stopping in London, England and Turin, Italy for a few days each. I have never visited either one but we all know these aren't exactly BBQ mecca's. So, I thought maybe y'all could come up with some other angle to take in search of a good dining experience or something good to grill.

I had one thought - and that was to pick up a pound of dried porcini's from Italy. Can anybody offer any other recommendation?

Thanks,

Last edited:

sparky

have fun. don't look for bbq joints. enjoy what they have to offer ya. take alot of pictures partner. stay safe. :cool:

ACW3

What Sparky said. Enjoy the local cuisine. You will probably get ideas from that to bring back. Ideas don't weigh much when you are limited in baggage weight.

Art

383inTheD

Made it to London and back. I had a chance to see some of the major sights thanks to a great guide. I won't post a lot here but I did have a chance to get some good fare...

Tower Bridge
London007-1.jpg

My hostess knows I enjoy cooking and also enjoy trying new food for ideas. We stopped at this place called the Cricketers in Clavering. It is actually run by the Oliver family (of Jamie Oliver fame) and is traditional in every sense. I felt like I was in a children's fairytale when I entered the building. Low ceilings (I'm 6'0") kept me hunched over when indoors. Fortunately, we were able to get a table outside and enjoy the unusually warm weather.
scan300.jpg

I decided to try the slow roasted pork belly, served on top of a plum and pink peppercorn reduction. This was accompanied by some mashed sweet potato, crackle and a side of vegetables. The pork was superb. You could tell it was slow roasted but then finished under a very high heat to give the bottom a little crisp so it wasn't mushy. The sauce and intensity of the pink peppercorns was nicely balanced. The crackle was outstanding too, done to perfection (as far as I know).
London096.jpg

Well, Big Ben says it's time to go.
London081.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

sparky

great slideshow. i liked it. how was the food over there? did they talk funny? i love ppl w/ accents.

Top Bottom