• If you are a registered member of the PelletSmoking.com Forums and you are having trouble logging in, first try asking for a password reset on the login form. That should send a verification email to your registered email account. If you don't see it within 5-15 minutes, check your spam/junk folder. If you still can't log in, please use our Contact Form to send details and obtain assistance from staff. Once you are logged in, make sure that the "Stay logged in" box is checked so your session doesn't time out until you manually log out.

Wet cured Bacon!

sptucker

My first attempt at makin' bacon.

Started with a 10lb belly, and 1 week later, this:

Not shown is a big pile of cutoffs and slices that didn't make the grade but should make for some good bean seasonings, etc..

Froze some, gave even more away.

I will definitely be doing this again...

sptucker

Once you taste how good homemade bacon is you won't want to buy store-bought again.

Oh, we've tasted it. It is definitely a hit. My wife likes hers crunchy (ruined), and the hot smoked doesn't lend itself to that very well. So I am thinking about trying cold smoke -- need to read up a bit...

TentHunter

My wife likes hers crunchy (ruined), and the hot smoked doesn't lend itself to that very well. So I am thinking about trying cold smoke -- need to read up a bit...

I could be wrong, but I don't know that hot or cold-smoking makes any difference. We hot-smoke all of our bacon and have no trouble getting it to crisp up.

The sugar content will play more of a role in that though. What brine recipe did you use?

Our Cider Mill bacon, for example, has a higher sugar content, so we have to cook it at a lower temp if we want it to crisp up without burning.

sptucker

I could be wrong, but I don't know that hot or cold-smoking makes any difference. We hot-smoke all of our bacon and have no trouble getting it to crisp up.

The sugar content will play more of a role in that though. What brine recipe did you use?

Our Cider Mill bacon, for example, has a higher sugar content, so we have to cook it at a lower temp if we want it to crisp up without burning.

Well, I did read somewhere else that cold vs hot-smoking definitely makes a difference, but you can't always believe what you read. In any case, I will continue fiddling with my cooking method to see if I can crisp it up, but she basically likes her bacon fried hard and brittle-crunchy (which I find disgusting). So far I have had no luck getting that consistency with my bacon. In reality, this is a don't-care for me as the rest of us like it chewy and delicious like bacon should be. :)

I used brown sugar and maple syrup to sweeten it up, along with a lot of black pepper and the prescribed amounts of kosher salt and curing salt. I may try your recipe next...

hariandro001

My first attempt at makin' bacon.

Started with a 10lb belly, and 1 week later, this:

Not shown is a big pile of cutoffs and slices that didn't make the grade but should make for some good bean seasonings, etc..

Froze some, gave even more away.

I will definitely be doing this again...

wow!!! its really super delicious.. and im too going to try this definitely.

Top Bottom