Can this be done? Cooking scheduling advice needed

Saxguy

Ok, so I'm having a jamfest at my house next year. Lots of guys I know are musicians who have headlined the NYC scene and we're planning a day of music with different band performances and group jams. I will be one of the musicians playing - of course, I also need to cook everything for between 100-200 people, depending on the response I get. I'm looking for a headlining act but Phish is way too expensive ;)

First question - can it be done (manging the cooking while performing throughout the day)? If so, how would I schedule it so I could be done with everything by around noon-1 and keep things in a holding pattern until being served? Do I have to suck it up, give up some control, and find a pitmaster in NJ (no easy task) to do it for me?

BP, any chance you want to do some jamming?

Hey Saxguy,
I have to preface this with I have no experience in the matter! I play guitar, but am a beg-int at best, but if I had a chance to jam with my friends and other professionals, I would get the event catered. Cooking for 100-200 people requires much attention, and I don't believe you will get to enjoy the cooking or the jamming. If I were you, I would want to show what the 4-star can do, but this is probably not the event for that. Enjoy the event and show what the 4 star can do at a later event. I struggle on cooks for 30-40, but that may just me my lack of skills!

Big Poppa

Administrator
it comes down to sleep...how important is it....

But my first rule is KEEP IT SIMPLE. Pork Butt....Easy to cook, great to hold. Find a bbq place to make you cole slaw, beans and salad....all you need to take credit for is the protein.

TentHunter

it comes down to sleep...how important is it....

But my first rule is KEEP IT SIMPLE.

BINGO!!! and the second rule is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!

I do a few large cookouts/BBQ's every year, like the annual Marching Band cookout coming next Friday (around 140 kids & staff). I already know I will NOT get a lot of sleep. Instead I plan it out in detail (including sleep schedule) and allow PLENTY of extra time for every step.

I know I'll be tired, but at least that way stress is reduced so I can enjoy the experience!

Oh, and did I mention, Plan, Plan, Plan? ;)

scooter

I'm with Tent. Plan it from start to finish. I use a spreadsheet to log every step and at what time they have to happen. I'm never behind the 8 ball when I have a spreadsheet and I stick to the spreadsheet. Stress is relieved and enjoyment increases.

Top Bottom