How many of you cook on pellets exclusively?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im curious How many of you only cook on pellets now?

Sometimes Im 100%...as summer rolls around I mix in my Hasty Bake and my drum...(ok a few others...i have a disease) Charcoal is fabulous for searing...but pellets are so good and easy.

I was talking to Joe on BPS team and we were saying that with Charcoal you can get a 10 burt also you can get a 6...with pellets it is always at least an 8....never lower.

Deb

I got my pellet grill a year ago this week and I think the gasser has only been used 6 times, probably 4 of those were for reverse sear of food coming off the traeger. The bradley has only been used for smoking things where i needed to keep the temp down really low like cheese. I just got a weber kettle and the few cooks that I have done with it I have added a foil pouch of pellets. So pretty much all pellets :)

CarterQ

Up until the Hasty Bake showed up I was 100% pellet. Right now I'm about 50 - 50 playing with the new grill (also don't want to catch any flak from my wife for buying another cooker and not using it enough!)

When it's all said and done it will probably settle out at 80% pellets and 20% lump with pellets thrown in for good luck.

Last edited:

sparky

i do love my weber kettle. i have cooked alot of meals on it. since i got my mak i use it all the time. only use the weber for hamburgers, tri tip and steaks for the kids. so it's mak (pellets) 85% and weber kettle (lump) 15%. i do love making smores sitting around the kettle swapping lies w/ the kids. they love the old stories. remember when we only had black and white TV and the remote was 3 buttons (on/off, channel up/down, volume up/down). lol, i am old. :(

Deb

i do love making smores sitting around the kettle swapping lies w/ the kids. they love the old stories. remember when we only had black and white TV and the remote was 3 buttons (on/off, channel up/down, volume up/down). lol, i am old. :(

shouldn't that story be back when you got up and walked to the tv? Even I remember that ..... ;)

Last edited:

FLBentRider

Since I got my MAK about a year ago, I think I have used my gas/charcoal grill once, and the Bradley about a dozen times.

If its a small item (like mooink balls) I can do more in the Bradley than I can on the MAK

TentHunter

I still plan to use my Weber Kettle for weekends when I'm not working & feel like piddling around (I still love using it) and for overspill when I need more room.

For cold smoking and for large on-site cooks (Marching Band summer BBQ, etc.) I'll continue to use my modified horizontal offset smoker; it's easy to keep a low temp and is portable enough & to take on-site (and requires no power).

BUT...

I have to admit. I've only had my Pellet cooker for a mere 7 weeks and we're already hooked & using it a majority of the time. In fact, I'm almost out of a couple flavors of pellets so Friday we called Jessie to get details on placing a bulk pellet order this week! ;)

HogSmoker

Don't have a pellet grill yet.... will someday I want the MAK2 star no need for me too buy or get any other cause I wouldn't be happy. Use charcoal to get fire going then its hickory, apple or pecan to finish up. I have found out over the years to buy the best brand charcoal the always saves brands will make the food taste like tires.

Sparky your tv story black and white brought back memories when I used to go down grandma's too watch tv we didn't have one at our house. I always wanted to turn the TV off and watch the white dot till it went out.. lol anybody remember that on the old black and white tv's ? It seemed the white dot would stay there for at least a couple minutes.

TTNuge

I recently added a Big Steel Keg to the deck and have been using that for the high heat work like steaks, burgers and some chicken. I've found that I love putting the steaks on the MAK at the smoke setting and after about 30 mins I fire up the BSK and let it get up to like 800 degrees. Finish the steaks off on the BSK and they are awesome!

MAK still gets about 90% of the work though.

squirtthecat

My poor (1 year old) Weber just sits.

I only use the Bradley for cold smoking. Will probably get into sausage making soon, and the Bradley will see more action. I prefer the pellet smoke taste over the Bradley puck, so I'll figure out a way to burn pellets in it. :cool:

firehouse_bbq

I was 100% until BP sold me my Meadow Creek. The majority of my cooking is on pellets, but for large catering jobs or other big events, we fire up the meadow creek pig roaster with charcoal!

ITFD#15

I was just thinking what if my Traeger had a hour meter, what would it read right now.. Only had it since early Jan and I think I used it every weekend to the middle of Feb.
Still like kettle charcoal there is no getting around that..
The pellet cooking is always an adventure and by Thursday I am trying to figure out what I am doing next for the weekend.
It really is an addiction

Hobbit

With the arrival of MAK 402, I amstillmlearning what it can do. So I am still using my Weber gas grill for quick grilling duties at least until I get an outside outlet off the deck. My weber kettle only gets used at Thanksgiving when I do the turkey outside (a task that 402 will now take over). I expect to be 100 percent pellets by this time next year. Right now it is about 40 percent pellets, 50 percent propane, and the final 10 percent charcoal.

jmeitz

I am 100% for now but just picked up my PRIMO XL Oval and looking forward to trying that. I have a feeling i will still be using my FE 75% of the time.

Rip

Was 95% pellets 5% gasser (searing and burgers), until I got my MAK2, now it's 100% pellets.

Vaughn

Since I got my Memphis Pro I have used nothing else. Gave the gasser away and sold the WSM. I'm hooked on pellets.

Buffalotom

I am 98% pellets. 2 % {gasp!} on a gas grill. Only for burgers and steaks. But now I have a Mak 2. So it will switch to 100% pellets. As I slow down {yeah right} I want to back to charcoal { just occasionally} when it feels right. Aka, no power.

Bear

I can honestly say that since I got my Memphis Pro a little over a year ago, the only thing my gasser has done is store my pellets. I still use my Cookshack smokers for butts, and large quantities of ribs. When I do ribs for home, it's always on the Memphis. The pellet cooked ribs are better. I just need a pellet cooker that will do 20 slabs if I want to do them.

scooter

Since I became a pellethead I have purchased 2 WSMs and a kettle. The first one I bought out of curiosity, the second WSM I bought to use in comps with the other WSM. I use pellets, charcoal and gas (for quick sear jobs). Searing over hot coals can't be beat in my book unless I'm in a hurry which is where gas comes in. I like having options so I'll never be without my gasser.
I run a Stoker on the WSMs (and the MAK) which makes them as carefree to run as the pellet cooker and I have an unlimited range of monitoring and control using the Stoker via my iPhone. Anywhere in the world I can get an AT&T cell signal I can monitor and control my WSMs.

Top Bottom