Pellet Burn

CarterQ

Sitting around last night talking with some friends and we got on the topic of pellet grills, one asked how much I thought I saved using pellets instead of gas. My wife just about choked on her wine when she heard that.

I told him it's not about how cheap you can cook but about the quality of food you can cook. The old you don't complain about how much gas costs when your filling up the Ferrari.

So this morning wife asks "how many pellets did you burn last year?" Well i kinda did some napkin math and it's a little over a thousand pounds since Feb. She said "holy cow" and I replied, "yeah I know, that's not nearly enough!" :D

Just curious what the rest of you go through in a year?

Deb

I have only had my Traeger since May but doing napkin math I have been through 400-500 lbs.

Big Poppa

Administrator
IF you are cooking low and slow it is way less especially on the Memphis. When you go for the high heat it is like flooring a 64 lincoln.

scooter

I'm using less pellets now that I'm mostly going high heat rather than low and slow. Flooring the Lincoln for 4.5 hours with a large packer brisket seems to be using less pellets than going slower for 17 hours.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Wow I get different results...not so much on the MAK..THe mak has a narrower range of burn the memphis uses much lees on low and slow but a ton more on high heat

scooter

You and I seem to be living in alternate BBQ universes in regards to pellet consumption and meat doneness temps! lol :)

HoDeDo

On my Louisiana Grills/Country Smokers, the consumption is high. I would guess 1.5lbs an hour average... For example, a chicken and rib cook in my whole hog will use roughly 20lbs of pellets. (firing two pellet pots).

My cookshack however is lucky to go though 8lbs in a weekend. The FEC100, between insulation, and fan control - it really is miserly on usage.

I would guesstimate that I used 1500lbs at comps, and another 6-800lbs at home over the year. I used almost 100lbs of that last couple weekends with the cold weather...

CarterQ

Cool, looks like i'm in the ballpark so I can tell the wife I'm just an average pellet user :p

As for low and slow vs high heat, my MAK is pretty decent at the lower temps but loves them pellets up high. Like that 64 Lincoln though both are pretty fun when floored. Ambient temp definitely plays a big part.

MikeB

I am sure that the usage of pellets for cooking is less than propane for cooking on long cooks, maybe not for cooking steaks or burgers.

CarterQ

what flavors does propane come in ?lol

Nice.

Pellet usage is kind of relative, while I use more pellets than I ever did propane, I also cook on my pellet grill more, and do things I never did on a gasser.

Things like pizza, bread, etc. I would never attempt on a gasser, these use more pellets but the results blow the indoor oven away. Low n slow is so good that we do butts just for ingredients, ribs are almost once a week.

Pellet grilling has totally changed the way we cook. I use the pellet grill 4-5 times a week and sometimes more.

I look at my pellet usage as a good thing and I plan to increase it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
really I think that we should set some guidelines

100 lbs annually...poser pellet cooker
400 lbs pellet smoker starter kit
1,000 real pelletsmoker
2,000 lbs Master pellet cooker or a very sick person!

Top Bottom