1 star flame zone kit

mdrew

Hi all,

My dear friend Google brought me here. I was surfing the ol' net for real world user feedback on the flame zone retro-fit for the MAK 1-star. I am considering buying it for my newly acquired 1-star. Not real sure if need it though, and at $325, plus another $50 to ship it to me (I live in one of those 'non-contiguous states), it's an expensive add-on. And I have a propain Weber gas grill for when I....well, 'grill' stuff.

I bought the 1-star because I have several friends who own pellet smokers and they all swear by them. Figured what the heck. Went with MAK for build quality reasons and the controller that has such a good reputation (plus USA made of course). I did not want the larger 2 star. In retro-spec, should have just bought the 2 star cause I prefer stainless and might want to cold smoke something, some day. Oh-well.... The grill I did buy appears to be an older version, as it uses a drip pan that hangs off to the side. It's also black in color (I bought the extra shelf and rack and they are a differnt color than the grill).

So I smoked a brisket the other day, and it came out all right, but it was missing the 'cooked' char you get when you slow cook one over an older indirect charcoal grill you find all over Texas. So this got me thinking that maybe I should throw a brisket on the propain grill for a few minutes after I smoke it? Or even better, maybe this flame zone retro kit might be the ticket?

So anyway, long winded way to get to my question... What exactly does this retro kit provide in way of cooking/smoking things? I'm a bit confused over how this thing can actually work, where the dripping go, and if it's worth the cost.

BBQJUDGE

Hi, I have a Mak II with the flame zone and I only use the flame zone when I want to grill steaks, pork chops, etc. Something resembling direct cooking. I've never heard of using it (i.e. taking off the covers from over the holes) for smoking or slow cooking.

TentHunter

First of all if you get it order it from Big Poppa Smokers, the sponsor of this forum, and (as far as I know) you will NOT pay shipping on that item! :)

Second, I don't grill as much as I cook/smoke indirect, but when I do, I get some pretty good results from the FlameZone and the Pellet Boss set to High. It'll give you that Flame seared flavor that you typically want from grilling. I know it seems pricey, but it is really super heavy and will never have to be replaced.

This is the 1 Star FlameZone coupled with the MAK searing Grate.
MAKFLN1.JPG

FZ03.JPG

A couple of notes:

► If you get one, DO NOT get rid of your original drip pan! I like using the FlameZone for grilling and the original drip pan for everything else. You get the best of both, and it takes less than a minute to swap them out.

► If you get a Searing grate, then you need to let it get good and hot before putting the food on.

Another option, if money is tight, or if you prefer an all over sear (like you get with a cast iron pan) is to get MAK Griddle and a split grate. You can get a heck of a sear with that as well, and it's very versatile. You can cook sauces in it, fry, grill pancakes/sandwiches, etc.

Either way, if you order it from Big Poppa Smokers you get free shipping (orders over $75), AND you help support this forum.

mdrew

Thanks for the feedback.

When you do grill with the flame zone, do you still get some smokiness?

I'll give Big Poppa a call and check on shipping. I did call them for shipping a smoker to me, and it was not free. Not even close to being free or included in the price. Problem with shipping anything to Alaska, is it goes air. There is no such thing as ground shipping, even if it's called ground.

TentHunter

Yes, you still get some smokiness. Not as much as you would running at lower temps, but still some.

Ahhh, yes I did not realize you were in Alaska in regards to the shipping. My wife used to live in Alaska, so I understand the dilemma.

mdrew

Yah, just one of the little joys of living here.....

So when using the flame zone, is the minimum temp the same?

And I was also wondering about the drippings. Is the flame zone more messy than the standard set up?

Top Bottom