2 Star running 10 degrees cooker than set point

alecksjaycubs

So I've got some spares on the 2 Star today. The whole cook it's been running 10 degrees cooler than the set point. It's consistent. It doesn't seem to push up to the set point then cool down, it just cruises up to 10 degrees less and stays there. The only thing I did differently today is tried putting a layer of foil on the flame zone to ease cleanup. I do find it odd that it doesn't try to push all the way up to the set point though.

As an example I pushed my set point to 285 to try to get the grill to register 275 based on what I've been seeing today. It beeped and I came outside to check the temp and it read 275. Just a bad pellet boss day or maybe some other bad juju?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TentHunter

I had a similar experience recently. After looking closely at the bag of pellets, several were swollen indicating they'd picked up some moisture at some point. High moisture in pellets will make it harder for the grill to reach temp. Now that may not have anything to do with your experience, but it's one possibility.

alecksjaycubs

Hmmm... They did live outside for awhile. They were in a container but maybe it wasn't what it needed. I'll bring em in and let em dry out.

I still think its weird that the pellet boss wouldn't just drop more pellets to reach temp though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Ducaticraig

One thing you may also do if you have not already done so is make sure your fire pot is clean of ash and your Mak temp probe is wiped clean of smoke residue. This sometimes can be the cause of temp fluctuation. This is just my guesstimate of what may have happened. BPS or Mak Daddy would have a better idea if it becomes an issue though under 10 degrees is not all that bad.

MAK DADDY

Lots of variables when burning wood: Pellets, food, ambient temp, clean TC, clean exhaust, clean fire pot, moisture, humidity and so on.
Try another bag of pellets after cleaning, taking the current pellets inside won't help if they have indeed drawn moisture.
The MAK feeds based on target temps so it's not uncommon to run slightly cooler in some conditions or slightly hotter in others.
What firmware version are you running?

Big Poppa

Administrator
the beauty of the pellet boss is the temp control and the transparency in which you get the temp info....it also sort of is a curse as we become very very temp centric and really focused on it. There are several threads where we talk about temps and displays...check the sticky about ovens....

The foil will affect your temp....hard to believe but run un foiled.....also you may be at 275 where the food is as there is fluctuations on every cooking source out there.....you can monitor it with a wired thermometer at the food spot but use care because the food will affect the reading.

rangda

Mine consistently reads 5 degrees cooler than the set point, done that since I got it. I do usually keep the drip tray foiled, that might be why.

Top Bottom