2nd batch of ribs on the MAK 2

Mojak

Well the first batch was a bust, C- is an F in my book. Very dry up here in Tahoe. I decided that I will change one thing at a time to obtain the desired results. The second batch is in the MAK 2 and since the ribs were decidedly dry on the first batch. I'm keeping the same temp but, adding a stainless steel bowl of water in the smoking vessel. My temperature is set at 275d. They've been in for a little over an hour so far so good, they appear moist. I'm also using the rib rack this time around. In addition, I'm basting with an Apple juice and Honey mixture to assist with moisture control.......pictures to follow on the next Rib check.

Using Apple wood pellets today and the pot is burning very clean. Just a slight hint of blue coming out of the vents, all good!

Last edited:

Mojak

At the 3 1/2 hour mark the ribs are wrapped and braising with a Apple Juice and honey mixture oh for about an hour. Looking much better than yesterday! Photos to come.....

Mojak

Abortion, over cooked, mahogany bark turned black in foil and dry. Dang, lower temp tomorrow. Gonna try 235d. Bit of a learning curve on the MAK, I think. :(.....

Looked good going in to foil, should have pulled them then.....

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

Mojak,
Take a look at BP's cooking tutorials on BB ribs. I think your temp. is fine. You waited to long to foil. Try foiling at 2 hr. mark, then in foil for 1 1/2 hr., out of foil and sauce, back on grill for 15-20 min. to set sauce if you desire. Do the toothpick test to check for doneness. I did 3 racks yesterday @ 275F in my BPS drum and they were perfect. Right between bite off the bone and fall of the bone, where the guests like it.

Mojak

Thanks, I will. Three racks of St Louis ribs going on the smoker today. I'll check out Poppa's tutorials.

jimsbarbecue

Do you have a upper rack? if so try them on the upper rack, and if you feel the need for moisture put a full size pan below with a little bit of water. We live in the desert where humidity is under 10% most of the time and we do not use a water pan in the MAK when cooking ribs.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Mojak said:
I'm basting with an Apple juice and Honey mixture to assist with moisture control

I know spritzing with apple juice has become popular, but I seriously don't see any real advantage with it. Same with basting.

Every time you open the pit to baste/spritz you end up losing heat, causing temps swings & mini stalls in your cook, increasing cook time, which in turn increases the likelihood of your food drying out.

I'd rather just add a small pan or a couple cans of water and leave the hood shut until it's time to foil. No moisture problems. If humidity is high, I don't even worry about a water pan.

If humidity is low,

Remember that old saying, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'."

Mojak

Okay, No spritzing today. Rub, Smoke and a little Sauce at the end. 275d for 2 hrs wrap for 1 1/2 hrs, then finish them up for 10-15.

Last edited:

Mojak

3rd batch, 2 hrs of smoke, Double wrapped them with foil, added a little apple juice. Cook them for another hour and a half, then sauce them to finish.

Mojak

The third times a charm! Thanks guys for the help. Here are some photos of the finished product.....

Last edited:

Mojak

They are gone. The girl friend stole a rack. The boys finished the rest off. Nixed an experiment for company tomorrow with brisket. Ribs are the order of the day.....

Mojak

what changes do you think made the difference?

Jim,
It was all about time and moisture! 2 hour smoke, double foil wrap with juice and a little bit more of Poppas Sweet Money Rub, 1 1/2 hours wrapped then sauced and about 10 more minutes in the MAK. I kept 2 pans of water in the MAK the whole time. Didn't open the unit except to wrap, unwrap and sauce. Cutting back the time was probably the most significant change I made. I'm sure added moisture helped a bit as well. Total cook time was 3:40.

Last edited:

rangda

I cook ribs on the Mak @230. 2.5-3 hours bare, 1.5 or so in foil (butter/honey/sugar), sauce & 15-30 min to finish. I don't spray at all and don't use water but I'm in New England which is a lot more humid.

If you lower the temp if nothing else your windows will get bigger so it will be easier to catch them before they over cook.

Mojak

I cook ribs on the Mak @230. 2.5-3 hours bare, 1.5 or so in foil (butter/honey/sugar), sauce & 15-30 min to finish. I don't spray at all and don't use water but I'm in New England which is a lot more humid.

If you lower the temp if nothing else your windows will get bigger so it will be easier to catch them before they over cook.

That was pretty much the technique I used for years. It seems the MAK can get great results with a faster cook. Yes, timing is more critical. Last night I cooked up 6 racks for a party and the results were the same as the pictures from the day before on this thread.

jimsbarbecue

Another good thing about this: it shows that the 3-2-1 cook or whatever time works for one person and cooker in a certain area. Is not the gospel. Everything needs to be tweaked to fit ones needs.

Mojak

Another good thing about this: it shows that the 3-2-1 cook or whatever time works for one person and cooker in a certain area. Is not the gospel. Everything needs to be tweaked to fit ones needs.

+1 on that Jim! I still need to tweak things a bit for moisture. It's not just humidity I'm dealing with, 6200' altitude, thus barometric pressure. At this altitude we have 30% less pressure than at sea level. I guarantee it figures in fairly significantly. In any case I've had 2 successful cooks now, I really like the MAK, it's a great unit.

Last edited:

Mojak

Gotta say this! Big Poppas Sweet Money Rub is so good I bought 10lbs of it in the bulk packs. Yes I can make my own Rubs and they are very good, however it always costs more for me to buy the spices to mix up a batch vs buying in bulk a rub that is as good or better than my own. So props to Poppa, Sweet Money is an impressive achievement.

Top Bottom