Applewood Smoked Cider Mill Bacon

TentHunter

Done!

My new toy arrived the other day (Christmas gift) just in time.
SLICER01.JPG

With a lower salt brine (4% salt) and only 1/3 the normal amount of cure #1, seven days turned out to be the right amount of time for wet curing. The salt leveled out nicely and the bacon was evenly cured throughout.

After draining the bacon and patting it dry, I turned on the stove's hood fan to keep air circulating and let the bacon air dry for a couple hours to form a pellicle.
CHBACN06.JPG

Into the MAK (upper rack) on smoke mode with Apple pellets until an I.T. of 120° then bumped the temp up to 200° and let it go to an I.T. of 150°. Total time: approx. 4+ hours.
CHBACN07.JPG

The excess fat was rinsed off, bacon patted dry & allowed to cool down overnight in the fridge. Ready to slice...
CHBACN08.JPG

Sliced...
CHBACN09.JPG

Quality assurance ;)...
CHBACN11.JPG

All I can say is all the tweaking with the ham brine recipe to get the salt, cure & sugar levels right for a lower sodium ham paid off for this bacon.

The salt level is nice, the Apple Wood smoke is up front, but not overpowering and the sweet tang of the Apple Cider comes through at the end. The wife really loves it too and she's the pickiest one to please with bacon, ham, etc.

I just wish I had done this a long time ago.

Thanks for looking!

Cliff

Last edited:

ACW3

NICE JOB, Cliff!!! That looks really good. I will be trying your recipe since I have all the ingredients.

Art

Rip

Great post Cliff! Vey informative, and the results sound and look awesome. Thanks for taking us along in this project!

TentHunter

Thanks everyone! :)

Squirt & I were talking about brine and one final thought occurred to me:

Very Important: If you heat your brine to dissolve the salt/sugar, then DO NOT add curing salt until AFTER the brine cools! Heat deactivates Sodium Nitrite/Nitrate.

I like to use a stainless steel stock pot and mix the ingredients with cold water. That way I can stir it pretty vigorously without splashing & making a mess. No waiting for the brine to heat then cool, means I can use it right away :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom