Are you a reverse sear or T Rex Smoker?

Big Poppa

Administrator
we are smokers...that is just a shaving cut...nothing to worry about...are the potatos done? (then you go in the bathroom and hold back the tears.)

SmokinMAK

OK. It was lunchtime, I was hungry. I had my last Prime Sirloin from Costco thawed-out in the fridge. Hit it with some Santa Maria and fired-up the MAK to 350. Once I put the meat on, I lit a charcoal chimney filled with lump charcoal, and put a GrillGrate over it. Pulled the steak from the MAK at IT 120 and put it on the GrillGrate over the chimney for 3 minutes per side.

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

First time doing this, so here are my lessons learned:

1) Have the MAK at 275, not 350. I'll get better smoke flavor, and it will allow the chimney to heat-up more.
2) make sure the chimney is fully lit. My coals were still black at the top, and I don't think I had the heat I was looking for.
3) Use fresh, not frozen steak if I am going to do this again because I think it will be frigging AWESOME!!
4) Let the steak rest a little longer. I have no patience!
5) Invest in a decent camera - mine is a piece of $#!+.

Challenges - Doing 3-4 steaks for the family this way without lighting that many chimneys. Any ideas?

Ed

Last edited:

TTNuge

Next time SmokinMAK place the Grill Grate on the bottom, then the steak, then place the Chimney over the whole thing fitting the steak in the small opening in the bottom of the chimney. That's how Alton Brown did it on his show and it had an amazing sear on it. Haven't tried it yet but definitely want to.

SmokinMAK

place the Chimney over the whole thing fitting the steak in the small opening in the bottom of the chimney.

I'd have to do that with briquettes. Lump charcoal drops too many small pieces down through the chimney - the steak would be covered with them. Hmmm - that would almost be caveman style...

TTNuge

I'd have to do that with briquettes. Lump charcoal drops too many small pieces down through the chimney - the steak would be covered with them. Hmmm - that would almost be caveman style...

Good point, although he did use lump in his show. I know there was some ash on the meat and he basically brushed it off and said it was a non-issue. I know some have mentioned actually placing the meat directly on the coals as well, not sure if that was on the show or on a forum somewhere.

Top Bottom