Bought 4 huge Butts for the Mak

Gregoryalln

I went to Cash and Carry and was able to find 4 huge butts. The bottom 2 combined for 29.8 lbs and the top 2 combined for 23.3 show ya pics tomorrow when they are done

sparky

i told ya. the 1 star is a beast. it can hold alot of food. i am looking forward on how they cook. squirt has cooked alot of butts in his 1 star alot. thats a load you got there. time for a scooby snack. butts o plenty.....

Gregoryalln

Currently the temps are: (bottom rack) Probe 1 is 138, Probe 2 is 137, (top rack) Probe 3 is 139, and I did a temp check and Butt 4 is also 139. The 2 upper butts are smaller than the bottom. crazy thing is I still had room for 1-2 more big butts on the grill

squirtthecat

I've done 8 smaller butts on my 1 Star. But at that point, it really starts to interfere with the airflow and they take much longer.

4 is about perfect. :cool:

HogSmoker

Squirtthecat : Do you have a thread on your butt cooking in here ? If so I sure would like to find it and read up on how you prepare and cook etc. Im going too cook 4 butts in a couple weeks and never have on my MAK 1 star yet. I have cooked several on the old charcoal smoking, but I'm sure its different than on a pellet grill.... thanks

RickB

Thats some junk in the trunk son...when's dinner?

Just a hint..work on your pic's.Everybody here loves a nice picture of a butt! ;)

Last edited:

Gregoryalln

Currently the bottom rack butts are at 185 and the upper rack butts are at 174, I foiled around the butts at 150f-160f, and just now put the top butts on the bottom. Also turned up the grill to 275 to speed it up a lil, current cook is just a bit under 16 hours.

TentHunter

I've done 8 smaller butts on my 1 Star. But at that point, it really starts to interfere with the airflow and they take much longer.

Not only the airflow, but 8 cold butts are really going to suck the heat out of the air.

I remember the first big cook (4 huge shoulders) on the Stoven/Weber chamber. I had to really crank up the dial when they first went on to get the temp up. Then as they gradually warmed up I gradually adjusted the dial down until the temp finally leveled out. Like squirt said they definitely took longer.

I have cooked several on the old charcoal smoking, but I'm sure its different than on a pellet grill.... thanks

That would make a great thread topic.

Gregoryalln

The butts were amazing, best I've done yet in my 7 years of bbq. Total cook time was almost 18 hours for the larger ones, part of it was because I smoked it for 4 hours. The smoke rings were pretty impressive, roughly 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. I gotta get a better camera for pics, so far I'm just using my camera phone.

Top Bottom