Budget/Wife Restrictions

INsmoker

Prevents me from considering top of the line pellet grills. Since the:
Memphis Select, and
The MAK 1 Star
don't get much of the spotlight. I'd like to know this groups thoughts on these two pellet grills. From what I can tell:
1. The Select is SS, The 1 Star is PCd
2. The Select is the larger of the two and has a double walled lid (uses less pellets????) Can find no info on what gauge metal is used in either unit.
3. The MAK has more available accessories.
I'll use this as a low & slow cooker, fish, and beer can chickens. I have a BGE to take care of my grilling (burgers, dogs, and steaks)needs.
Any and all information would be helpfull to a darkside whannabe.
GBA. Happy 4th to ya'll
Mike

INsmoker

Jim,
That's my intention. BPS has everything. 1 stop shopping. It get really confusing for us newbies out there on the internet. There's 3-5 retailers selling these grills.

Big Poppa

Administrator
We actually ship ours! hahaha

OK they both are fine cookers.....

I have to be careful here as I represent both of them....

The memphis would be the choice if you needed high heat. Understand though at high heat you are burning through pellets like a floored 63 cadillac.

The is grill size and useful size. The Memphis uses two cantilevered or stair step shelfs which are only good for small stuff.....the MAK with the optional shelf you actually double your capacity and it is 100% useful

The Memphis may be the better High heat grill but the Mak One Star puts out more smoke than any pellet cooker I have used. I like it so much we use two of them in competition....I could use anything...Right now in Williams Arizona the pork butt is on the MAK one star the chicken will be on the other soon...the brisket is on a two star and the ribs on a meadow creek stick burner.

The MAK pellet boss is a very useful tool....much greater control;

CarterQ

For your low and slow and multiple temp cooks, the MAK's pellet boss is awesome. Like BP said adding the rack doubles your usable cooking space, and the MAK accessories give you options that few pellet cookers can.

sparky

i absolutely love my mak 1 stars. perfect size. they go from 170º to 495º on hickory. the pellet boss is the best. it makes me just a lazy bbqer. i love the elapsed time feature. i never have to think about when i put food on or went to wrap stuff because all i do it look at the timer. i have 2 10 lbs butts on #69 right now. i use the temp probes plugged into the pellet boss with temps set for the butts at 200º. how cool it that. i don't have to do anything. nothing. for my briskets i pre program the pellet boss to smoke until meat temp hits 100º then grill go to 230º until meat hits 195º then go to smoke until i get to it. once again, i don't have to do anything. now, if i could get BP or MAK DADDY to ship a little monkey to turn the grill on and put the rub on i would be set. get the one star. it is a fantastic grill. it does everything. and if you order it from anyone else besides BP it would be a big mistake. his customer service is better than anything else out there. him and his team bend over backwards to fix any problem you may have.

INsmoker

Sparky,
I see you have a Weber Kettle. Did you ever consider the STOVEN adapter? Did you ever consider the Memphis Select, or any other pellet grills? You live where it is "warm" 365 days a year. I live in Indiana(IN) where we have real winter, rain and wind. The 1 STAR is a straight single wall construction, will it be a repectable year 'round unit?
Thanks for your advice,
Mike

sparky

i never considers the stoven. like my pellet cookers better. i have considered other pellet grills. i have owned 4 different pellet grills in my life, one of them being a memphis. and it is not warm here 365 days a year. and we also have real winters. i don't know much about where you live but it gets real cold here w/ snow. our winters in oct thru feb get alot of rain and temps into the twenties. i have had no problems with my 1 or 2 stars in the winter. they are fine grills. i'm done.

Last edited:

TentHunter

A couple other notes:

• The MAK 1 Star, in addition to being powder coated, is Aluminized Steel. So it should have almost no rust issues if any.

• You say you'll use it as a low & slow cooker/smoker. Keep in mind the temp range of both grills:

Memphis Select: 200°-500° F

MAK 1 Star: 170°-500°

jafrey711

If I could have one or the other it would be the One Star. From what I have heard and seen its an amazing cooker and smoker. Plus its sleek as hell!

bbqslayer

My eye is on the Memphis. I just think the SS will hold up better over the long run. I like the little Traeger I have but the powder coat is looking rather worn. That's why I vote Memphis.

Big Poppa

Administrator
bbq the stainless is 400 grade and will corrode eventually the mak is aluminized steel with zero corrosion I think that the best advice should come from some with experience on one or the other grills

Top Bottom