Can you hot smoke salmon on a MAK 1-Star?

TimS

Can you hot smoke salmon or other fish on a MAK 1-Star or is the smoke temperature setting of 170-180 deg too hot? I'm about to buy a 1-Star, but I really want to be able to smoke fish. My other option is a GMG Daniel Boone, which I believe goes down to 150. Although I'm not sure how reliable that temp would be.

TentHunter

Salmon turns out GREAT on a MAK 1 Star.

Now we're talking hot-smoking, which also cooks the fish. I will usually run in smoke mode for a good 30 minutes then bump the temp up to around 350° to finish.

My favorite way to prep is like this: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/sweet-spicy-applewood-dill-salmon-4499/

The brown sugar seals the salmon and keeps it unbelievably moist.

Re: your other question - 150°, in my opinion, is a very questionable temp at which to smoke uncured food. It's right at the top of the danger zone and the smoke creates a perfect environment for certain anaerobic bacteria to thrive.

I prefer cold-smoke temps of below 100° and hot smoke temps in the range of 165°-185°. The MAK 1 Star handles the hot-smoke temps perfectly (in smoke mode) and the addition of an A-Maze-N Tube Smoker ($29 at the BPS store) will give you the cold-smoke temps.

Last edited:

Kite

I have a Memphis Pro, not a MAK, but I think they work pretty much the same from a cooking standpoint. I have done fish at 180 and 325 and they both turn out absolutely awesome! I chose the temp I am going to use on any particular cook based on how much time I have and the final product I am looking for.

TimS

Thanks for the input. A lot of recipes call for smoking at 140-160, so I just wanted some actual feedback. I probably would be buying a Memphis Pro if price was no object, but I'm hoping I'll be very happy with a MAK 1-Star. Thanks again.

TentHunter

...but I'm hoping I'll be very happy with a MAK 1-Star. Thanks again.

I have no doubt that you will!

If you add the Griddle/Split grate combo and at least 1 upper half rack, you will be amazed at the versatility.

CCD04.JPG

MONTEC07.JPG

MAK DADDY

Thanks for the input. A lot of recipes call for smoking at 140-160, so I just wanted some actual feedback. I probably would be buying a Memphis Pro if price was no object, but I'm hoping I'll be very happy with a MAK 1-Star. Thanks again.

You should never smoke any uncured or un cooked meats below 140 as that is the danger zone according to the USDA! If you want to cold smoke foods they have to be brined, cured, cooked or fish :) This is the reason the manufactures are staying in the 175ish smoke range. The MAK will vary in the smoke mode from 165 to 195 to create the most smoke possible. Enjoy!

Salmonsmoker

You should never smoke any uncured or un cooked meats below 140 as that is the danger zone according to the USDA! If you want to cold smoke foods they have to be brined, cured, cooked or fish :) This is the reason the manufactures are staying in the 175ish smoke range. The MAK will vary in the smoke mode from 165 to 195 to create the most smoke possible. Enjoy!

An interesting thought...Alaskan natives( and other coastal areas also), dry their salmon on wood racks in open air with a smouldering fire that produces only enough smoke to keep the flies off while it dries. It takes more than a few days to do this and the whole time in the temperature danger zone. No cure, salt or otherwise.:confused::confused:
Things that make you go Hmmmm.....

MAK DADDY

An interesting thought...Alaskan natives( and other coastal areas also), dry their salmon on wood racks in open air with a smouldering fire that produces only enough smoke to keep the flies off while it dries. It takes more than a few days to do this and the whole time in the temperature danger zone. No cure, salt or otherwise.:confused::confused:
Things that make you go Hmmmm.....

Fish is not an issue, you can eat it raw if you like (although I cant :) )

Smokinman88

I smoke fish all the time in my 2 Star using the smoke setting, the fish is always moist and has a great smoke flavor. Most of us in the NW use Alder for salmon but apple also works really well.

Top Bottom