Chicken / Chicken wings

Dano11

Ok I have a new question? I cooked some chicken wings the little ones you use for hot wings. I started on smoke for about an hour then increased temp to 225, another half hour, I sauces them for about 25 mins then turned to 475 to finish them. The flavor of the wings were awesome , however the skin was chewy? Any suggestion on what I did wrong? With wings or chicken do I need to cook at higher temps to keep the skin crispy and softer?

Thanks for any suggestion for the new guy. :)

Dan

ITFD#15

I use olive or melted butter as a glue on my chicken and helps to make the skin crispy. Maybe give that a try, what are you cooking on?

Big Poppa

Administrator
TO get good skin you have to render the fat out of the chicken skin...you used way too low of heat to render it so it turns to rubber. Smoke for awhile is ok...but then you really need to get them to at least 300...with wings 350 even...you should only put your sauce on with five minutes to go...you are saucing too early and further blocking the skin from rendering....

Dano11

Thanks for the replies. I figured it's because I went to low and slow and probably sauced to early. I will try out both suggestions in the future.

ITFD#15 - I'm using a Traeger Texas Grill.

So far the brisket is looking good I started it at 3:30am this morning 5 hrs 10 Mins in, we'll see how it turns out. I Have resisted all the urges to peak so far, I will in a while, I have taken the start picture I need the in process photo for my future post.

Thanks again for the help!

Dan

Top Bottom