Christmas Prime Rib

Seagar

I'm looking for suggestions. I got talked into doing about a 15# Prime Rib on my MAK 2 Star. I have done smaller ones in the past but this is far and away the biggest I have ever even thought of doing. My question is, 1 hour at High, then down to 250 degree's until an IT of 130. Any idea how long that will take? Thanks in Advance.

ACW3

Use your Pellet Boss and a couple of probes for a roast that big. I'd take the low-and-slow approach to make sure I ended up with a tender, juicy, killer piece of beef. Since I love all things smoked, I'd probably go with the temp set on Smoke or maybe 200 for the actual cooking. After reaching an IT of about 120, I'd pull and tent. In the mean time I'd crank that MAK to high and put the meat back on when the temp is high. I'd also probably use my Grill Grates to sear off the outside for a little high temp crusting. Make sure you post some picts of that side of cow you'll be cooking. sounds good already.

Art

Seagar

Thanks, I am a bit concerned about the length of time. Since my everyone wants to have dinner around 6pm, I am not sure when to start the Prime Rib.

Big_Jake

I am smoking an 8 1/2 pounder now.I started at 6:30 am at a temp of 235.When it reached 89 degrees internal I turned down the smoker to 215.It's now 10:47 and it's @ 111 internal.I was hoping to have it at 120 internal at around 12:15.It looks like I had the temp a bit to high @ 235 and maybe should have done it @ 215 the entire time.
So it's taken 4 1/2 hours for the 8 1/2 pounder to get to 111 internal.So basically they cook pretty quick.Also remember if you get close to eating time and it's not done yet you can always crank the heat up to finish it off.My problem now is trying to slow down the cooking process which can prove to be difficult.

Top Bottom