cooking steelhead on Mak

Gregoryalln

I finally caught a small hatchery steelhead, I was going to cook it on the Mak, any suggestions on what would be the best way to do it? It's right around 4-5 pounds

ACW3

Nice fish. The only way I have cooked any steelhead trout is to dry brine the fillets and cold smoke them on my 2 Star. Really good eats. A few members hear have hot smoked some salmon pieces. Do a search on salmon mand see if they come up.

Art

scooter

One of my favorite game fish! They're gorgeous when they first enter the river system from the sea all lookin like a bright silver bar. I've never cooked one but have caught many.

TentHunter

Like Art said, you can cook it the same as salmon. You can also cook or smoke them like you would any other trout. Lots of possibilities!

Here's a trick with hot smoking salmon we figured out: If you coat them with a Brown sugar rub and put a small pan of hot water in the pit, then they can take a very Hot Smoke (indirect heat) of 325°-350° for 45 min - 1 hour.

Now I know, you'd think cooking them that long would dry them out, but the brown sugar seals them and the water pan provides a moist heat so they stay moist and pickup a lot of smoke in that time.

Top Bottom