Cooler question

Aceman

Well, I'm cooking a brisket and a pork shoulder but it's cooking faster than I thought. I'm going to be 10 hours out and so my question is will the cooler keep it warm for that long? If not, how long and what temp should I put it in the oven?

I could also take them both to 200 or 205 before I pull them and so that should take the cooler time to around 7 hours or so. What do y'all think?

Thanks

SmokinMAK

Hi Aceman.

The cooler should hold it fine for up to about 3 hours. Be sure to pre-heat the cooler (and towels if you can) that will help prevent heat loss.

As for holding it in the oven - I have no experience with this, but I would assume you wouldn't want it any hotter than your meat IT.

txpgapro

I pulled a 12 pound brisket last week, double wrapped in foil, wrapped a beach towel around it and placed in a very small ice chest for 10 hours. Still very very hot. Too hot to handle with out gloves. Too soft for slicing but unbelievable chopped. It didn't last long. Just remember that it will continue to cook for hours in a ice chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txpgapro

Sliced or chopped? Who cares, it's still the beat brisket they will have ever eaten.

Thom Emery

Brother Scooter :)
ol Mike or TX PGA Pro knows his Que :)
His example was on a 10 hour hold

But yes letting the energy out of the Briskey
is a huge help in avoiding over cook in a hold pattern

scooter

ahhh, he was using the overcooking part as a necessity to holding it 10 hours? I figured you could not overcook it and hold for 10 hours by letting the big part of the push vent off then wrap and it would still be warm 10 hours later. Christmas 2009 I pulled my 8lb rib roast at 140IT and tented until the temp push stopped an hour later at 146IT. Wrapped it in foil and coolered with towels for over 4 hours. It only lost about 23 degrees.
I guess he could just as easily undercook a bit then FTC right away and use the cooler to finish the cook and hold the temp. Little bit more Kentucky windage doing it that way but it'll work also.

Last edited:

Aceman

It did fall apart during the slicing but it was very tasty. It didn't last long and the same for the shoulder.

Thanks for all your help!

txpgapro

Don't do this with poultry!!!!!! It will spoil first them fall apart. I ruined about a dozen turkeys one Christmas.

Top Bottom