Fat Cap

sparky

i have never thought of trimming the fat cup off completely. my favorite part of the butt is the bark. more bark, better for sparky. great idea ppl. i was going to cook the next one fat cap down. now, that sucker coming off.

firehouse_bbq

No trimming on butts, fat side up. On briskets, I trim the fat between the flat and point. Sometimes I do fat side up, sometimes down, still deciding on that one.

The reason I do butts fat side up is the same as Neil, so they do not stick to the grate. Only reason I trim the fat on the briskets is so that I can separate the point from the easier....

Pete

HoDeDo

let me know how you guys like the fat cap off... Glad you're open to the idea. That is usually met with horror. LOL

Matt Dalton

Both pork and brisket we do fat down but we are cooking hot and fast..like the other posters you get more bark that way,also there is no way in hell you could render all the fat off anyway..I've tried..for brisket i remove the cap from where the point meets the flat that way i get really good bark for burnt ends here is a pic
DSC00330.jpg

sparky

it's all about trying new stuff. if what i make isn't the best bbq i have ever put in my mouth, try again. and again. plus, i get to buy meat, watch it smoke and have a Fat Tire or 2-5.

CarterQ

it's all about trying new stuff. if what i make isn't the best bbq i have ever put in my mouth, try again. and again. plus, i get to buy meat, watch it smoke and have a Fat Tire or 2-5.

You hit the nail on the head, that is indeed what it's all about. Tryin, learnin, and livin!

Ssteppe

I start my butts with the fat cap down, then flip when it hits IT 160° (I don't foil). Then I finish to around 193-200° (when probe goes in like butter.)

Top Bottom