First attempts at using a pellet smoker.

mpmontero

I decided for my first time, to make a pork butt. Small, around 6lbs.
I rubbed it with olive oil and gave it a healthy coating of JB's Fat Boy SweetRub.
And left it in the fridge overnight.

KaNl5td.jpg

Smoked it at 220-230 for 9 hours.

3lKx57i.jpg

I was happy with my first attempt, but I have a LOT to learn.

DE6rFZA.jpg

5Qh1THp.jpg

I then tried my hand at grilling on the direct flame side of the smoker. According to my IR temp gun the cast iron hit over 700 degrees. I got some lamb chops and started them off on the indirect side at 350 until internal temp hit 120 then gave them a good sear on the direct side for a minute or so. They came out perfectly medium rare.

t7mEzhK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadman750

That looks great.It sure don't look like your first attempt. Half the fun is experimenting with different rubs & sauces. Check out Big Poppas Rubs they are amazing, you won't be disappointed.

scooter

Very nice first cook! Hope you took notes so you can repeat your successes and learn from your trials so they are not repeated.

mpmontero

Thanks, Scooter!
I have started keeping a cook log so I can see what works and what doesn't, as another member suggested. It was a good call! :)
This thing is like a drug, I am now addicted to outdoor cooking and find myself planning what I will be cooking on the weekend, all week.
I see you're a Bay Area brother, cool. I'm in the east bay myself.

TentHunter

It looks like you're off to a great start. I think you chose well for your first cook. Pork shoulder is very forgiving, but lets you get familiar with your grill.

So Cal Smoker

It's great to hear you're using a cooking log. Your going to avoid a lot of misadventures and frustrations. Now that you're going to expand your cooking menu, try taking a look at BPs video's. BP has some of the best videos on the net and you can follow right along with him as you cook yours. Take advantage of his generosity and expertise. Good luck and good smoking.

mpmontero

It's great to hear you're using a cooking log. Your going to avoid a lot of misadventures and frustrations. Now that you're going to expand your cooking menu, try taking a look at BPs video's. BP has some of the best videos on the net and you can follow right along with him as you cook yours. Take advantage of his generosity and expertise. Good luck and good smoking.

Yea, it was a good call! Thanks for that :)

Top Bottom