First Pork Butt Advice

HoDeDo

Yeah when BP said the stall was due to evaporative cooling I had the same thought about the mop - I was probably hurting the time. So if you foil wrap at 165* that means to me that you are no longer getting any additional smoke. Is there a difference in appearance, moistness(??) or taste between a wrapped meat vs the method I used?

You actually quit taking on smoke in the meat around 140 degrees, so at that point you are just further developing/concentrating your Bark. I wrap at color, not temp. When it is a nice dark red, I wrap. I dont like my bark black. I usually am about 5-6hrs in and roughly 160 when I wrap. I also use the wrap to add more flavor... by adding a braising liquid. I put about 1/3-1/2 cup of this marinade called Smoke On Wheels Pork Injection and Marinade into the foil when I wrap. (that was a shameless plug, btw, since I produce that marinade...) You can get it here: SoW at Big Poppa's! Continue the cook until the meat is tender to the probe. Could be anywhere between 185-205, just depending on the butt, and seasoning methods (aka, did you brine or inject it, or just rub?). Sounds like you had a good first outing. Pics for the next round. :cool: <I am the worst about pics>

RickB

All good advice. Now I understand. Thank you all.
Now that your totaly confused?;) Try many of the suggestions you see here and pick the one you like best. Nice thing about pork buttt is they are cheap.

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

Well Dave, I live 10mins or so from you.. you could have shared some ;)

I have done with and without foil and last couple times the stall was during the night. I start early to make sure there is no stress in the day I need the food. FTC holds for a looong time.

TrickyDick

Lots of good info in here.

I've done several butts before, I found brining made little difference to me so I stopped doing it, plus I disliked the whole process and trying to keep it cold overnight and then cleaning the cooler or large pot I had used. (was this in the
Inked post or this post.). Anyway...

I've always cooked without foiling, mostly because I didn't know the proper technique. When you foil, and I see some folks add liquid to the foil, how do manage this without making a total mess? Do you use regular or heavy duty foil? How do you add liquid to this process? Do you wrap it up tightly leaving a hole in the foil at top and then try to pour in, or do you make a less tight wrap and leave space at the bottom for the fluid? Do you set it in a pan after this? Confused by that part.

I'm def going to foil at color next time, because I dislike the black bark color, and it's a bit too tough in areas, which I find detracting.

Also, I know there has been comment and posts about removing glands.. For real? Glands in meat? Or are they just lymph nodes. I'm no veterinarian, but that doesn't make sense to me,

Can't wait to cook on my new MAK. Getting anxious and hungry!

TD

Top Bottom