German Knves vs. Japanese Knives

ACW3

I bought one of the Forschner 12" slicing knives after attedning the Rod Gray BBQ cooking class several years ago. In hind sight, I probably could have gotten by just as well with the 10". Either one will work, IMO. The 12" is a bit harder to store.

Art

jimsbarbecue

Shuns are made with two different types of steel the SG2 and the V10. The photo BP has looks like SG2 the higher end knives from Shun . Very sharp but the do chip because the steel is so hard. Assuming that Shun is a SG2 steel it is in the $300 range for a 8 inch Chefs knife. The Messermeister Knives same size are 119 for a forged knife and 60 for a stamped knife.
So for the price of the Shun in the picture you could have a Messermeister and a Apex sharpner. Which would equal a razor sharp chefs knife for years to come.
For a Brisket Slicer I did pick up the 14 inch slicer from BP and the extra size over a 12 makes a difference.

squirtthecat

Thanks Jim. I might opt for the 14" one. Price difference is minimal.

My Shun's were $69 'specials' from Surly Table. They stay in the block now.

jimsbarbecue

How hard is the Apex to use?
As BP said a little learning and then you will have the sharpest knives around and they will always be sharp. It took knives I never thought could get as sharp as a Shun etc . To the point in a blind challenge you would not know which was which.

FLBentRider

As BP said a little learning and then you will have the sharpest knives around and they will always be sharp. It took knives I never thought could get as sharp as a Shun etc . To the point in a blind challenge you would not know which was which.

I've probably purchased 10+ sharpening devices in various forms over the years, and I've really never been happy with any of them.

Either it takes more skill and/or patience than I have, or they didn't work very well. Especially with kids, its been easier to buy cheap knives and toss them after a few trips to the butcher for sharpening (that is getting $$$). And that way I don't come unglued if the kids do something that well, would cause me to come unglued, like using it for a pry bar/screwdriver/wrong cutting board/whatever :)

HoDeDo

i like to use my kitchen scissors. i cant cut myself w/ scissors. most of the time i use knifes i just butcher the meat badly. :(

I think I can prove to you that you can cut yourself with scissors :) I have the kitchen shear scars to prove it LOL

My question is.. Which knives are must haves? I know I want a good chopping knife for veggies and one to cut large cuts of meat. I can see where a cleaver type knife would be handy as well for cutting chicken bone ect.
What do you guys recomend?
You can get into all the specialty knives, but you really need 4 in your kitchen to cover just about everything you want to do: 1. paring knife (coring/pitting/tight work) 2. Utility/Boning knife - 6" is a good size, this will trim fat off of things, square up a rack of ribs, etc... without being to awkard. 3. Chef's knife. 8 or 10" is safe here. This is your work horse, all the chopping, slicing, dicing, a wack on the butt of the knife for smaller bones... etc., adn finally 4. a slicer/carver. I have a 10, 12, and 14" -- I RARELY use the 14", just dont get any briskets that big anymore... but the 10" is my go to rib and butt knife, the 12" is my brisket knife. So 4 knives and you can do everything you want. great starting point.

10" vs 12" vs 14"? Is bigger actually better? Biggest thing I ever slice is brisket.
I would go 10 or 12 - 14 is overkill. Go 10" and get a bottle of the pork marinade too LOL hehehe

I believe the "Elite" Messermeister that I played with out in NV was thier upline knife, but after Brad put it on the apex for acouple of runs, that thing was wicked sharp! I was very impressed. Also like the narrower height of the blade on the carver/slicer, less metal (surface area) to cause friction on the slices, so less chance of one tearing/breaking apart if you are verging on overdone. Nice stuff, that's for sure!!!

scooter

plus i have posted some of my briskets and other cuts of meat here that i used a knife to trim the fat off w/. ppl laughed at my knife skills. i really don't care what ppl think about my knife skills. scissors work for me. :)

Sorry dude, I was just funnin ya!!! :)

roburado

BP, out of curiosity, what knives does your buddy Jimmy Schmidt use?

Been wondering about these
Messemeister knives. I'll take a closer look now. Thanks.

FLBentRider

So what is the difference between the $$$ knives and the $ knives?

How sharp you can get it, or how long it stays sharp?

I realize there are other factors, like the materials themselves, balance, etc...

jimsbarbecue

So what is the difference between the $$$ knives and the $ knives?

How sharp you can get it, or how long it stays sharp?

I realize there are other factors, like the materials themselves, balance, etc...

Materials is one. As pointed out in this thread when the steel gets harder it is also brittle and tends to chips. The steel that is not so hard will dull faster but not be prone to chip. Most knives you buy out of the box is not as sharp as you will get them with a Apex. I find most the knives I sharpen for myself and friends will stay sharp for 6 months to a year if a steel is used on them.

Top Bottom