Getting smoke flavor in baked potatoes.

Nite Ryder

I haven't read all 128 pages of posts on this particular forum while looking for info on baking potatoes, but I did try a search with no success. Several years ago one of our local restaurants offered ribs that were excellent, along with baked potatoes that had a mouth watering hint of smoke in them. How did they do it? I have been happy with all the different meats I've put on my smoker, but I'm tired of the same old baked potatoes. I want to know how to bake a potato on my grill have a smoky flavor taste when I cut it open and put butter, sour cream, chives, or whatever else I'm going to dob on it before I start to eat it. Any help will be appreciated...

Salmonsmoker

NR, I think you'd just need to put the spuds in the cooker uncovered(obviously) and on the smoke setting. I don't know what you're cooking on, but in your list of cooking devices you'd be using your Traeger or kettle if you're looking for smoke. A moist surface will allow more smoke particles to attach, so you'd want the spuds wet with water, although that won't take long to evaporate, or a light coating of vegetable or olive oil may help. If you want smoke in your other cookers check out the AMAZ-N tube pellet smoker available at BP Smokers. It'll turn any one of your cookers into a smoking machine. Cheers!

Nite Ryder

Thank you for the advice, I've tried putting potatoes in my Traeger for about an hour while different meat cuts are finishing, but still no smoky taste. I've rubbed them with Olive oil, I've poked holes in them with a fork, I've even put liquid smoke on the outside before poking the holes in the skins, still no taste of smoke. I have a smoke tube that I use with the Traeger, and a smoke box made by Weber for using with my nat'l gas Weber grill, both make lots of smoke, but nothing you can taste in potatoes.

scooter

If you're going to rub them with oil, instead, try rubbing them with a little bacon grease and sprinkle with sea salt. It won't improve the smokiness but will kick up the flavor another notch!! :)

Nite Ryder

If you're going to rub them with oil, instead, try rubbing them with a little bacon grease and sprinkle with sea salt. It won't improve the smokiness but will kick up the flavor another notch!! :)

I'm after the smokiness, why would I bother if all I'm going to get is flavor? I can add some butter, chives, etc. and get flavor...

EdEmerts

I haven't read all 128 pages of posts on this particular forum while looking for info on baking potatoes, but I did try a search with no success. Several years ago one of our local restaurants offered ribs that were excellent, along with baked potatoes that had a mouth watering hint of smoke in them. How did they do it? I have been happy with all the different meats I've put on my smoker, but I'm tired of the same old baked potatoes. I want to know how to bake a potato on my grill have a smoky flavor taste when I cut it open and put butter, sour cream, chives, or whatever else I'm going to dob on it before I start to eat it. Any help will be appreciated...

Never heard about baked potato flavor.. I will try to collect some more details and if feasible will use it soon..

Salmonsmoker

Ed, what about cutting the potatoes longways, putting them cut side down and cooking halfway finished before flipping over? I make a smoked salmon chowder where I dice the onions and potatoes, put them on a frog mat and smoke for an hour. It adds great smoke flavor to the dish.

gap74

loved smoked potatoes

I've been smoking potatoes probably every other week since I got my pellet smoker last November.

I'll use Russett or Red. Russett is better for having as a standing veggies with butter, sour cream, etc.. But I really like smoking the Red potatoes for smoked potato salad.

I brush a light coat of olive oil on them and sprinkle a nice big salt (i use margarita salt myself). I usually cook on 225 for 4-6 hours. For bigger potatoes, you're looking at 5-6 hours at 225. You can crank up the temp to 250 and it will cut 30-60mins off that time.

I take them off just as they get somewhat soft to the touch. I love to just dice these up and eat them. So does the wife.

TrickyDick

Seems like the time to cook them is how to do it, slow and low. I smoke some sea salt, and I've used that to impart a subtle smokiness to foods cooked indoors, not on smoker.

Top Bottom