GMG or Yoder?

KSCOOKER

I just sold my Traeger Lil Tex the other day and am trying to decide what to replace it with. I have a GMG dealer in town and have been doing alot of reading about them. I like what I have been reading and the price is right. While doing my research I ran across the Yoder pellet smokers. They are very well built and made about 90 miles away from me. They are a little pricier than the GMG but I am a believer in buying quality. I am sure either smoker would serve me well but I just don't know if the extra expense of the Yoder would be worth it for me. Does anybody have any words of experience for me? Thanks.

muebe

Yoder has a 10 year warranty on the body. Longest of any pellet grill. Heavy gauge steel. The YS640 weighs in at around 300lbs. It is gonna outlast anything out there. Made in the U.S.A. They had some issues with software that have been hammered out with updates. Also had some issues with wrong CFM fans that have since been replaced. A positive draft fan was added. Tatonka has a Yoder and she is very happy with hers. I know others that are happy too.

GMG are made in China so they are cheaper. They have a innovative firepot design with the fan located under the firepot and a rock solid controller. An optional wireless remote controller. Variable speed fan. A very wide temperature range. Very large grilling area. And are a great value for the price. I have heard about issues on confusion about different baffle designs they implemented. But overall people seem to be happy.

MossyMO

I own a Yoder; make the drive and check them out. Either product you choose you will be happy with, it just depends on what you are wanting to own and your preferences. Research, research, research... that is why Google was created.

ajstrider

I just upgrade from the Traeger Texas to the Yoder YS640 this last week. The upgrade is phenominal and can't be fully appreciated until seeing the Yoder in person. It is of such high quality construction. Super thick steel, excellent heat retention, with a baffle system that no other pellet grill has that I am aware of, short throw pellet auger to help prevent jamming, well constructed pellet hopper feed system. And it gets smoking hot! My first cook on it was some ribeye steaks. I pulled out the heat diffuser, put in the optional Grill Grates I purchased and fired it up. I easily hit high 500's on the Grill Grates and seared some delicious tasting steaks. I doubt you could do that on any other pellet grill. Using the baffle you can achieve two separate smoking temperatures if you wish to cook chicken on one side and some pork on the other. The 10 year warranty should be a dead giveaway that Yoder takes pride in their craftmanship. I wish I would have just skipped the Traeger and got the Yoder in the beginning, but such is the way of the world. It comes fully assembled (except the insides which is all packed up in the grill) on a pallet. I highly recommend the Yoder to anyone looking for a serious pellet grill.

Big Poppa

Administrator
If you can swing it buy the american grill...there are others too that you can cook at any temp without fear of warping...I also would want assurances that the controller and software is in order with the Yoder....

HoDeDo

KSCOOKER, I see you are new on here, so I'll reiterate my normal disclaimer -- I am sponsored by Yoder Smokers-- having said that, I have cooked on everything from Eggs, Country Smokers, old OK Joe's, Kingfishers, GMG, and FECs. If you are looking at GMG, vs. the Yoder, there's no contest. The GMGs have come a long way from the one I tested and didn't like; muebe hit on the design changes above, but you wont go wrong with the Yoder. Inclement weather, ability to build different temp zones, overall build quality. It's there.

KSCOOKER

I called a place in Wichita who sells Yoders to check their prices. They charge MSRP which means $1099 for the 480 and $1299 for the 640. I really want to buy American made but just can't convince myself I need to spend $400 to $500 more to do it. I know the Yoder is a higher quality smoker in every way but I would really have to start cooking ALOT more to justify the price. I may run to Wichita and get a look at the Yoder and maybe they can convince me to buy one!

Tatonka3A2

Take a look at both products and go from there. I told my hubby (MossyMO) that spending that kind of money was stupid! I could think of a dozen other things that $$ could have went for. After reading reviews and talking to people I was convinced that the Yoder was perfect for us. Spent the money and have not had one regret!! That is just my opinion - if you have the chance to look at them in person I would jump on it. The comments about it are no lie, "it is built like a tank" - hell if a person could fit in there it would serve as a personal bomb shelter!!

Last edited:

Big_Jake

they are yoder

Yeah I am guessing this is All Things BBQ and they are directly connected to Yoder.If you live close enough I would head over there and ask to see one in action.(From start up).This will give you a good idea on wether or not you want to buy one.It's like test-driving a car. ;)

KSCOOKER

Then why are you following that statement with that that three letter word, "but..."?

But I would have to do alot more cooking to justify spending the extra money. I don't do alot of outdoor cooking but would like to get into it more. That's what "but" means.

KimG SOW

If you wait to visit the weekend of Aug. 17th you can also take a class from Andy (HoDeDo). He can show all sorts of things you can cook on a cooker. Everything from apps and salads to dessert. ;)

TentHunter

But I would have to do alot more cooking to justify spending the extra money. I don't do alot of outdoor cooking but would like to get into it more. That's what "but" means.

I willing to bet that won't be a problem. Once you get one you'll be cooking on it every chance you get. It becomes an addiction. :)

Ffvillager

This sort of sounds like "should I buy a Chevy or a Caddy". They will both do the job but one is more expensive than the other and has more bells and whistles. But, can they both do the job for which they are intended, and how much is the prestige factor worth. In this case, they both will require that you get familiar with whichever you buy, and I am sure you will be satisfied with either.

Top Bottom