Hazel & Ribs

sparky

you knew it was coming. 2nd cook on hazel. lets see how the old girl will do w/ my favorite food. well, it's sometime friday. i have found out that a iced latte w/ rum is quite a tasty drink.

HB1stweekend014.jpg

only my 2nd so were good to go.

going to burn maple / orange pellets today w/ my ribs.

HB1stweekend024.jpg

ok, this is the 1st thing i love about Hazel. pulled the ash pan and lump pan out. load lump in it. push back in. light match on ash pan. push back in. lower lump over match to 1". it doesn't get any easier than that. for over 40 years i have been using a chimmey. not anymore. 1 for Hazel.

HB1stweekend020.jpg

HB1stweekend022.jpg

ya baby. time to test out Hazel.

HB1stweekend036.jpg

got me some juicy pig and some balsamic glaze w/ figs.

HB1stweekend045.jpg

the glaze gives the rib a nice dark color.

HB1stweekend048.jpg

all dressed up and looking sharp.

HB1stweekend049.jpg

keeping it real. pellets o' plenty. after the 1st hour i also put in a foil packet.

HB1stweekend051.jpg

getting ready for lift off.

HB1stweekend052.jpg

cont.....

sparky

cont....

HB1stweekend053.jpg

not shiney anymore.

HB1stweekend056.jpg

Hazel smoking away.

HB1stweekend058.jpg

looking good after 2 hours.

HB1stweekend064.jpg

HB1stweekend063.jpg

used some cranberry, chili & lemon jelly for yummies.

HB1stweekend070.jpg

moved to top shelf to set jelly.

HB1stweekend074.jpg

all done.

HB1stweekend078.jpg

ok, good smoke ring. flavor was ok. i think they were overcooked. Hazel in new to me so i have to get used to her. BP said my gauge was wrong so that meant that i cooked them at to high a heat. i will get better at it. still learning.

HB1stweekend082.jpg

Last edited:

TTNuge

Ease of lighting, another +1! Looks like some sort of heat diverter down there too for doing indirect, correct? So in addition to lowering the charcoal and keeping it away from the meat, as well as putting all the charcoal off on one side, there is also a diverter down there to help with indirect duties as well?

MossyMO

Who would have ever thunk you and Hazel doing ribs together? :rolleyes:

Looking good there Sparky, I really like what Hazel is doing for you also!

TentHunter

Sparky, they may be a little overdone & caramelized more than your used to, but still look pretty good from what I'm seeing.

After a dozen or so cooks on Hazel, you'll get a feel for how much charcoal to use & how far to open the air vents for various temps. Then you'll be able to dial in your temps every time and you'll be right back on top of your game. And we get to watch! :cool:

scooter

That looks like the makings of a great pulled pork sammich!! Lemonaide outta lemons. New pits need to be learned. That's why it's called practice. Keep on practicing

Chili Head

I like the direct or indirect. I didn't know they were made like that. Hmmm...
Nice looking ribs sparky! Some of the most fun I have with new toys is figuring them out.

ACW3

Whatever you are cooking on, I still want to be your good neighbor. Interesting combination of flavors with your sauce.

Art

Top Bottom