Headroom in PGs

INsmoker

I cannot find this information, so I hope someone here can provide me with the info.
What is the useable headroom in the following PGs:
MAK 1 STAR-12"*
MAK 2 STAR-14"*
PG500
PG1000
Memphis Select
Memphis Advantage-10.5"-11"**
Thanks,
Mike
*got this off of amazingribs.com buying guide for PGs
**got info from ZCZ post on another website

Last edited:

INsmoker

TH
You are 100% correct. That's why I asked the question. I was able to find the dimensions I added from other sources. If these facts are anywhere close to accurate, I'm going to have to save my pennies a little longer for a 2 STAR. My Large BGE has a maximun headroom of 13". I can't do a standup turkey in it. I do want a quick pellet dump in my next PG. +/- on the warming drawer.
In replies to another post, some people replied that they had more $$$$ in their fully loaded 1 STAR that they'd have spent on a 2 STAR. Their take away message was start with a 2 STAR(less money in the long run)
Mike

FLBentRider

I can stand up a 20lb+ bird in my 2 star no problem.

When I bought mine, there was no 1 star available. Given the larger capacity of the 2 star, I probably would have bought it anyway. but the "fully loaded" stuff - second level racks, frogmats, etc, are more or less the same.

I really like having the pellet dump feature. Having said that, make sure you have the door secured before putting in more pellets. Trust me on that one.

TentHunter

In replies to another post, some people replied that they had more $$$$ in their fully loaded 1 STAR that they'd have spent on a 2 STAR.

That can't happen. The 1 Star with the FlameZone, Split Grate, Side Shelf w/tool hook & Bottom Shelf gets you as close as possible to the standard 2 Star and costs $1857.96. That's $441 less that the current 2 Star price.

As FLBentRider already mentioned, some of the other options (upper racks, remote boss, griddle, etc.) cost extra with either model.

What you do get with the 2 Star that you cannot get on the 1 Star is: the pellet dump door & extra capacity FLBentRider mentioned, plus you also get the Cold-Smoking chamber and a Stainless Steel cooking chamber.

If you were going to order the "fully loaded" 1 Star and can swing the extra $441, then absolutely, get the 2 Star. You get more than your money's worth either way!

P.S. If the pellet dump door were available for the 1 Star I'd get it in a heart beat!

INsmoker

TH,
Me 2. I think that's one of the reasons the PG500 is selling so well(4 wk back order). It's one of two PGs @ the $1500.00 price point that has a pellet dump door. The other is a new player called the Grilla(20" circular cooking grip with standard upper half shelf).

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im not sure that any of the ones you mentioned are selling like hotcakes...dont take backorder for velocity. just my opinion

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets keep this on topic and IM guilty too....The memphis wont have the headroom you are looking for both maks do!

Top Bottom