Help me decide

CaliQue

Hi I am new to smoking (but have been a grilling enthusiast (gas). I have seen many recommendations for the Mak pellet stoves and they are impressive. I was wondering what the consensus is on Fast Eddy Smokers is? They seem much cheaper. I have a gas grill so getting a smoker with searing capability is not a concern. Thanks for your help.

mcschlotz

Point of ref: I have a 42" Twin Eagles gas grill but when I went looking for a smoker it was the MAK that impressed me the most in regards to its smoking attributes. Yes it can grill too (which is very important for those without a grill). I've done the "this is good enough - it'll save me money" many times only to discover later that logic fails miserably and end up buying again, what I should have in the first place. Scooter is so right, do yourself a favor and complete the homework. BUY ONCE & CRY ONCE! < this logic works!

Welcome to PS.com!

Matt

CaliQue

Thanks guys! The more I read/research the Mak is looking like it needs a permanent station in my yard. Quick question: does the Mak 1 have enough space to:
A. Smoke a turkey?
B. Smoke 6 racks of ribs simultaneously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

Thanks guys! The more I read/research the Mak is looking like it needs a permanent station in my yard. Quick question: does the Mak 1 have enough space to:
A. Smoke a turkey?
B. Smoke 6 racks of ribs simultaneously?

A) Smoke a turkey on a MAK 1 Star? Not a problem!
TDAY1104.JPG

There's also this post from MAK: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-central-14/mak-1-star-general-turkey-capacity-5569/

b) Smoke 6 racks of ribs simultaneously? Again, not a problem!
Here you can see that three racks of St. Louis spares will fit easily just on the lower grate alone, and three more can fit on the upper rack. Using a rib rack should allow even more. :)
2hrRibs6.JPG

That MAK 1 Star is deceptive. It holds a lot more food that you think!

CMack1

I have an early MAK 1 star (#131.) I also have plenty of other cookers on my patio, about a dozen. The one star is the single best cooking investment I've ever made. Maintenance is minimal, and she's always dead consistent. When people here say "only cry once" it's great advice. I still use this old girl all the time. Outside of one igniter replacement I've never had a single problem. Getting her loaded up for an overnight shoulder cook tonight. As far as turkeys and ribs; if you get the second shelf you can do two 15 pound birds spatchcocked, two 10 pounders side by side, or one 20 pound beast in tact. 8 racks of back ribs are no problem without racks, 12-14 with racks. Go through BPS. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom