Hickory Smoked Dove-n-Catfsh

cowgirl

These were some dove and catfish from camping and hunting this summer. I used the horizontal wood burner on this cook but just used indirect heat with a bit of hickory.

I made a marinade for the dove breasts using
1/4 cup sherry
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup soy
1/2 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste)
3 cloves of garlic sliced
1/2 medium onion sliced
I let them marinade for at least 2 hours, then wrap in jalapeno bacon.

9a8e9967-1.jpg

936818eb-1.jpg

5f33300a-1.jpg

marinated the catfish filets in soy, cider vinegar and brown sugar.

0a6b783c-1.jpg

made some pan fried okra...

62b151d2-1.jpg

efd42d8c-1.jpg

51091a82-1.jpg

614f3df4-1.jpg

f317158b-1.jpg

d5b707b1-1.jpg

It was tasty... but the best part was remembering the fun I had this summer fishing and hunting. lol

Thanks for looking!

MossyMO

That dove marinade sounds great and the plated pic is very drool worthy, very nice Jeanie!
Thanks also for reminding me of catfish we have frozen, I need to get after them...
You store and cook your dove breast bone in it looks like? I fillet the breast out before storing and freezing.

Last edited:

sparky

another great cook. food looks fantastic. love the catfish and doves. that last picture says it all. yummy, yummy. your the best jeanie.

Tatonka3A2

That catfish is picture perfect!!! Did you add anything to them after the marinade in the soy/vinegar/brown sugar mixture?

Chili Head

Oh yeah now you're singing my song! It don't get much better than that unless you're sitting around the campfire with friends having that for dinner :D

ACW3

Now that looks like a fantastic campfire meal! I haven't had any dove for years. Probably because my hand-eye coordination is not what it used to be. Can't see those little birds in flight, much less hit them.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
this is what is sounds like when doves cry....couldnt help slipping a prince song in there1 Great cook Jeanie

cowgirl

lol Thanks BP, now I have that song stuck in my head. :D

Thanks Marty! I do store them bone-in and submerged in water. Sometimes I remove the meat from the bone after I thaw them but I usually soak them overnight in salt water, rinse and store in fresh water in the freezer.
Tanya I forgot! I used two different Dizzy Pig dry rubs on the fish to compare them.

Thanks friends... the meal brought back good summer memories for me. :)

Top Bottom