How many of you that live

SmokinMAK

Yea, Yea. I was born in LA, grew-up in NorCal (Oroville). Relocated North to Oregon in 94' when we couldn't afford to live in Cali anymore. I do miss the sunshine - especially when Oregon is having crappy summers like the one we just had!

Pokey

I plan to use year round, as I do the grill. I ordered a Grill Kozey to try to insulate a little. I've heard of folks using welding blankets for that purpose, too.

I had the Traeger on when a sudden storm hit that turned out to be classified a microburst. It flipped open the pellet bin. I had to run out in conditions I only like to see on TV to close it before the pellets got too wet to use.

sparky

well, right now its 10:16. it's in the 50's here in northern california with winds >25 mph. got a fattie going. should be done by half time. go NINERS. then making ABT's for the 1:00 game. making ribs for dinner. before i go to bed i am putting on a 8 lb pork butt. got my hasty bake in the mail. got some annie's garlic olive oil then i am going to drown it HASTY BAKE. ya baby. life is good for a pellet cooker. trading 67 bug for mak grill. lol....

txpgapro

I already smoke all year round. It will just be easier now when it wet and cold out. I've got the Memphis Pro under the porch against the house. I'm really going to like this.

SmokinMAK

Just visited Harbor Freight and picked-up a 5x5 welding blanket for $20. Folded in half, it covers the front, top, and rear of the chamber without interfering with the sides/vents.

I'll try and benchmark the time-to-temp and pellet consumption with and without the blanket.

The blanket is thin, and someone with better seamstress skills than me could probably make it a fitted cover complete with holes for the vents and handle. That would be outstanding!

squirtthecat

Just visited Harbor Freight and picked-up a 5x5 welding blanket for $20. Folded in half, it covers the front, top, and rear of the
The blanket is thin, and someone with better seamstress skills than me could probably make it a fitted cover complete with holes for the vents and handle. That would be outstanding!

I've thought that very thing! Have my Harbor Freight welding blanket (or 2) stitched together to fit my Traeger..

Pokey

Just visited Harbor Freight and picked-up a 5x5 welding blanket for $20. Folded in half, it covers the front, top, and rear of the chamber without interfering with the sides/vents.

I'll try and benchmark the time-to-temp and pellet consumption with and without the blanket.

I'd love to see those benchmark comparisons. You'd be doing us all a service! It might make the effort worthwhile.

TIA

SmokinMAK

OK - Word of caution. The welding blanket is only good for low and slow smokes. I cranked my MAK up on high with some Oak pellets (hit 540) and it actually burned a chunk of the blanket. Live and learn...

Still haven't done any comparisons on pellet consumption. Weather has been too unpredictable here lately. I'd like to have similar moisture and ambient temps if I can. Maybe this week I can do a couple tests.

Pete

I tried cooking at 40* this weekend and had lots of incomplete burns and one massive 625+ burnout, but the food that I was able to cook early in the day tasted great

I'm not sure how much more cooking I will be able to do, or if I just need a wind-break!

Big Poppa

Administrator
wind break....also email jessie at customer service there may be an update available You should be able to smoke and grill year round

Pete

If I put on much more weight I could be the windbreak! I've got a few ideas to partially enclose the grill section of the deck while still allowing for ventilation. I want to keep the snow and rain off it (these things rust like it's their job) so I'm thinking a removable 4post wood roof w/ lattice sides and solid back. I will drop jessie a line, thanks!

Top Bottom