How many turkeys on a new MAK 1 Star

peedeeque

New 2016 one star with a 3/4 optional top grate. Any suggestions how many 12-14 lb turkeys I can fit on here? Thanks!!

TentHunter

Yes, it's getting to be that time of year again. :)

If you're like me and prefer to spatchcock your turkey...

This pic shows one on the bottom rack, but you can see it could easily fit two spatchcocked turkeys in our pre-2016 model (one on each rack).
TDAY1105.JPG

For whole turkeys, here's a thread MAK DADDY posted for the pre-2016 1 Stars which should still give you an idea: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...neral-turkey-capacity-5569/?highlight=turkeys

Based on that thread, it's safe to say two turkeys will fit on the bottom, so it will depend on what your 3/4 upper rack can hold.

My bet is a turkey will fit turned sideways on your 3/4 upper rack. You could easily test this ahead of time with a frozen turkey.

peedeeque

Excellent! I am hoping to fit 3 avg sized turkeys and you gave me the great info I needed. Yes...it's that time of the year again.

BTW....most have heard of good ole southern style BBQ (I am in SC) which typically is made from whole hog or pork butts/shoulders. However, I am called on annually to make pulled turkey BBQ in lieu of the pork. I pull/shred and sauce the meat the same with a vinegar/pepper sauce, and the folks line up at the Thanksgiving picnic to chow down on this turkey bbq along with the other fare such as candied sweet yams, dressing and other goodies.

Last edited:

TentHunter

YUM!!! Pulled turkey sounds great!

BTW if you have never tried cooking spatchcock turkeys, give it a try. They cook in about half the time which means they turn out juicier. Once I tried spatchcocking, I never looked back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom