How to get higher temps on a pellet smoker?

Dano11

New question! How can I increase temps on my pellet smoker? I have a Traeger Texas Grill.

Thanks.

Dano

LarryF

I am a Traeger owner also. What are you trying to do? For a sear I have my cast iron skillet or my gas grill. My Traeger is for the low and slow.

Dano11

I use mine for low and slow mostly also. I was just wondering if I can kick it up a little for when I use my grill grates I can innumeracy around 410 without food on the grates. I just wanted to be able to get a better sear with the grates.
I was wondering about the bricks?
Thanks for the reply.

Dano

squirtthecat

I've heard of some people drilling extra holes in the firepot to let more air in, and others directly wiring the auger to a separate switch so they can leave it running full bore.

The bricks are more for stabilizing the temperature swings, as they increase the thermal mass inside of the pit (and hold the heat in).

Dano11

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just deal with the temps I have, it works fine but I always am thinking how can you make it better?

Have a great weekend!

Dano

markoerickson

Anyone upgraded there Traeger to the digital thermometer and controller. I have an old unit with the three way switch and have considered upgrading.

LarryF

I upgraded mine. $80.00 later and 30 minutes to install I have much more control over my temp. Worth it!

Savannahsmoker

New question! How can I increase temps on my pellet smoker? I have a Traeger Texas Grill.

Thanks.

Dano
This is how I did it.
Replacing the 1.5 RPM auger motor with a 2.5 RPM auger motor, a controller bypass switch and some other mods gets me to the below pic's temps
IMG_3593.jpg

To sear steaks I use my grill mods and GrillGrates.
IMG_2933.jpg

Ready to eat
IMG_2945-1.jpg

Last edited:

HoDeDo

I was going to suggest a higher speed motor for the Traeger... 2 RPM is usually enough, but a 2.5 should work!
The Key to high heat grilling on a traeger is making sure it is clean... Vac'ed out, no creosote anywhere, etc. They will also go up like a roman candle above the flash point of the grease in them, if you dont clean them meticulously.

The Country smokers will get to 650 up to the CS-570, and 550+ in the 680 model... but the Traegers just dont get hot without some modifications. Make sure that motor is the right Amperage, etc. or it will burn up quicker than the cooker.

I have built/modded alot of cookers over the years... do the due dillegence first. :)

Savannahsmoker

I was going to suggest a higher speed motor for the Traeger... 2 RPM is usually enough, but a 2.5 should work!

I have built/modded alot of cookers over the years... do the due dillegence first. :)

Not just "should work" it does work and has been working for over a year.
It get to temp faster, recovers faster when the door has been open and of course with a by pass switch will will reach temperatures over 500 degrees.
You do lose some low temp cooking stability when using a high speed motor. I replaced the Traeger controller with a PID to increase temp management especially at low temp smokes.
IMG_4178.jpg

Top Bottom