"Igniting" message during the middle of a cook

etriv1

Why, after 30mins into a cook with set point at 450, am I getting the grill temp as saying, "igniting 365"? Lasted for a few minutes.... now it is just reading the grill temp and seems to be normal again.

RickB

Why, after 30mins into a cook with set point at 450, am I getting the grill temp as saying, "igniting 365"? Lasted for a few minutes.... now it is just reading the grill temp and seems to be normal again.

So strange, I Just came to the forum to post I am having the same problem tonight. Not as high a cook temp but have never seen this before. Mine shows correct temp but igniting. Just cleaned the firepot yesterday. Ideas?

Ok. A follow up. Turned the remote boss on and recorded what was going on.

Set temp 200

Went to grill temp 190
Back to igniting 190
Igniting 200
Igniting 220
Grill temp 240
Grill temp 210
Grilll temp 225
Grill temp 205
Grill temp210
Grill temp 205
Grill temp 200

This was over a 45 min period. Clean firepot and cleaned the thermocouple at the same time. Never seen this before. Outside temp 77 no wind. Hope this helps. Pretty much back to normal now.

Another follow up.

Back to igniting 205
Igniting 210
Igniting 205
Grill 205
Grill 200

This was over about a 15 minute period. Back to normal again. Damn strange.

Last edited:

etriv1

And I cleaned my fire pot right before this cook. It is only my 5th time on this grill, so I was thinking that maybe I had not noticed it before. It seemed to correct itself and read the normal grill temp, and got up to set point temp eventually

RickB

I dont know. Six months in to the mak i have never seen it go back to igniting after reaching smoke temp or higher. Thats what made it so strange. Im going to blame it on sunspots till it happens again or the mak gurus tell me something.

Chili Head

Strange, I've never seen mine do that so I'm no help but someone will be by to help you guys out I'm sure.

Good Luck!

After 6 months or so of cooking on my Mak it's happened to me only once. I opened the lid and a huge gust of wind came along. My guess is the wind put out the fire and had to re-ignite.

RickB

Well its the nxt day and put some cheese on for sammies and the mak on smoke. Rock solid no problems. Go figure.

etriv1

After 6 months or so of cooking on my Mak it's happened to me only once. I opened the lid and a huge gust of wind came along. My guess is the wind put out the fire and had to re-ignite.
Yeah, it was a bit windy last night, and I had the lid open for a bit while switching from chicken to burgers.

TTNuge

I've had it happen here in the Minnesota winter but that's because it would be close to 0 degrees out when I open the lid and the pit probe temp would drop way down. I wish there was an open lid detector or a manual override to turn the igniter off for 5 mins or something along those lines. I have a feeling that the igniter rods firing up and heating up when there is a roaring fire in the firebox may lead to premature failure.

MAK DADDY

There is a cool down sequence programmed into the Pellet Boss to help keep the fire lit when going from a hot temperature to a cool one (like 400 going to smoke etc). When the control detects this dropping temp it turns on the igniter to keep the fire from going out while the grill cools down. It is not in igniting mode just simply turns on the igniter but the display is programmed to display igniting whenever the igniter is on. Before adding this feature we had some cases where the fire would go out and the pot would overflow with pellets.
Hope this answers your question, we will work on a better method or display thats less confusing.
Continuous improving sometimes means tweaks :)
Bob

Top Bottom