Insulated Grill Cover?

Beachnuttz

First time poster.....

The question I have is, with winter coming, is a Insulated Grill Cover a worthy purchase? And if so, what is your recommendation?

I have a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite.

Thanks for any input

Beach

soupyjones

Welcome to the forums! If you are doing a lot of cold weather smoking a cover is a good idea. You do not need to spend lots of money to get one though. Some guys use welding blankets and some find fire resistant wool ones. Anything that will not melt or burn will help you maintain more even temps and save you lots of pellets.

TentHunter

Yes, welcome to the forum!

Whatever you do, with a pellet grill, be absolutely sure you do NOT cover any vents, or you can cause fire-out & back flow issues.

Also, with most pellet grills, it's not recommended to use a cover for grilling at higher temps.

Beachnuttz

TentHunter Also said:
TH, are you referring to grill temps being high? Or just the outdoor temps?

Thanks for the input guys, anyone ever hear of a Grill Kozey? Its way cheaper than the Traeger brand.

Beach

MossyMO

Living in North Dakota my wife and I have one on our Yoder YS640 and it works well for holding temps and conserving on pellets. I am unaware of Traeger making one for their grills, but if they don't a welding blanket would also work.

TentHunter

Beachnuttz said:
TH, are you referring to grill temps being high? Or just the outdoor temps?

High grill temps. Welding blankets have been known to catch fire with prolonged high grill temps. Some powder coats can also be damaged (depending on the temp rating).

The Grill Kozey is really designed for gas grills, which do not have the same venting requirements. Venting is critical with pellet grills. Disrupt venting and you are changing the designed airflow which will most likely lead to problems.

I find that during cold months blocking wind helps a great deal.

Mmmmm

If only for low and slow I've used plain old cotton quilts before with no problems. That'd be a disaster with higher than smoking temps though.

Top Bottom