Mak 1 or Mak 2 ??

cowdog

A filet and a ribeye...

2012-05-11_18-29-56_444.jpg

Here are some chicken breasts. The first cook on the 2-Star....

2012-04-20_18-45-35_689.jpg

Last edited:

SmokinMAK

Can you please explain as to why the Mak 1 smokes more than the Mak 2 ?

The 1 star has less air volume due to the lack of cold smoker/warming drawer. If I recall, this allows a slower fan speed and more smoke. I have a 2 star and have used the 1 star. I echo the previous comments - if you can afford the 2 star, that is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokinMAK

4avejasu.jpg
Here are some steaks and Swordfish I recently did on the 2 star. The steaks on the right of the full flame zone, and the swordfish on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwnly

OK.Here is were I am with this purchase. Yes I am asking alot of questions and have searched and read numerous post / and seen pics of all three units I have narrowed it down to. Mak Star 2 - FE PG1000 - PG500. I have read most of Smokin Mak's blog.
I am 75 % sure of my decision which will be a PG500 or 1000. some reasons . If reverse searing on Mak it looks like you have to wait 30 plus minutes to get up searing temp after smoking. The PG's are instant.
The PG's flame actually engulf the steak. I like the 4 zone cooking and seeing pics of searing on the PG's compared to the Mak , the PG's look like they just flat out nail it. My other cookers are a BGE and a UDS.

iwnly

Just seen this post on Smokin Maks blog.
Here is the question, if I went with this mod would it not be the same set up in regards to the direct flame as the PG500 - 1000 ?

After using the MAK searing grates for a while, I decided to go back to the GrillGrates. I removed the heat deflector in my MAK and placed the GrillGrates directly over the firepot. This got the grates extremely hot, and allowed me to get a great sear and carmelization on the meat. This may become me new way of doing steaks (if only doing 1 or 2 at a time).[/I]

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
just be sure you realize just how ssmall the four cooking areas are on the FE stuff...If you want to sear charcoal kills all of them but the Memphis flame zone outperforms the fe's

TentHunter

iwnly said:
If reverse searing on Mak it looks like you have to wait 30 plus minutes to get up searing temp after smoking.

I certainly don't wait 30 minutes if reverse searing on my MAK.

I like my steaks medium rare (around 145°). I smoke indirect on the upper rack, until the steak is about 120° - 125°. I leave the steaks in place and crank the grill up to high. By not opening the lid the grill heats up fairly quickly and by the time the steak reaches 135° the searing grate is hot and ready. I move the steaks to the searing grate and sear for about 2 1/2 minutes per side and I am done and ready for the steaks to rest.

Another option is reverse searing with the griddle. You don't get grill lines, but you can get some seriously great overall carmelization using that griddle!

Ducaticraig

I recently owned a PG1000 and returned it for the Mak 2 Star. Now that I have had the Mak for a handful of months I don't miss the PG1000 at all. The charbroil side is what made me get the PG1000 over the Mak in the first place but I did not care for the 4 zones that much. The other 3 areas or different heat zones just seemed to small for my low and slow cooks. I just love my 2 Star. Everything about it was so well thought out. Cleaning is a breeze, the Pellet Boss along with the Remote Boss truely are incredible and make checkimg on the cook fun. Cooking is just so simple. The new WIFI app will make the whole MAK experience even that much better. Now I can start my smoke in the morning and check on it from work. May even log into the Mak site to adjust the temp before I head home. Lot's of fun possibilities/accessories options for the grill too. Having the option to remove the flame zone covers for grilling steaks or anything for that matter and putting them back on for low and slow cooking is nice. While it does take a little longer to heat up for steaks I at least am not losing any low and slow space when I put the flame zone covers back on. I love the griddle option for cooking breakfast. I bought two griddles and had a field day cooking eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and then toasting some bagels for some great breakfast sandwiches.

Even the quality of the materials used to make the Mak are first rate. On my PG 1000 there were imperfections in the stainless steel. Also the legs of the unit just looked dirty and could not be cleaned no matter what I used to wipe them down. The legs did not look new. It was kind of a used industrial look. To some that is not an issue to me it was. When I buy something new it should shine and look new all over. I'm sure it was new, it just had a used look.

Do you have any other grills that you can grill on? I do have a Weber ES670 for all my grilling needs if I ever decide to use it again now that I have my MAK. Have not used it in awhile in fact it was purchased in August this year and I think I will sell it.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will end up happy with whatever you purchase. Just know there is no better customer service than BPS (Big Poppa Smokers). Sterling and team are there for you what almost seems like 24 hours a day. I think they sleep once in awhile.

PM me anytime if you have questions.

Craig

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

cowdog

I agree with Tent, I never wait 30 minutes after smoking during a reverse sear. I crank up main chamber to 450, throw the steaks in the cold smoke chamber, along with the amaze n tube smoker, and smoke for a bit, then move them to the main chamber and sear them to my liking, which takes very little time in the main chamber. I do this with burgers as well.

Also, MAK does not build a product, and then sit on what they have. Let me explain, the MAK team is always researching how to better their products. Always coming out with new, innovative ideas. They reach out to their customers for ideas on what we would like on our grill. How we would do things differently. And they listen, and try their best to satisfy their customers needs/wants.

As far as customer service, MAK and BPS are both the best I have ever experienced! There has never been a time when I had an issue and did not get it taken care of almost immediately.

iwnly

I recently owned a PG1000 and returned it for the Mak 2 Star. Now that I have had the Mak for a handful of months I don't miss the PG1000 at all. The charbroil side is what made me get the PG1000 over the Mak in the first place but I did not care for the 4 zones that much. The other 3 areas or different heat zones just seemed to small for my low and slow cooks. I just love my 2 Star. Everything about it was so well thought out. Cleaning is a breeze, the Pellet Boss along with the Remote Boss truely are incredible and make checkimg on the cook fun. Cooking is just so simple. The new WIFI app will make the whole MAK experience even that much better. Now I can start my smoke in the morning and check on it from work. May even log into the Mak site to adjust the temp before I head home. Lot's of fun possibilities/accessories options for the grill too. Having the option to remove the flame zone covers for grilling steaks or anything for that matter and putting them back on for low and slow cooking is nice. While it does take a little longer to heat up for steaks I at least am not losing any low and slow space when I put the flame zone covers back on. I love the griddle option for cooking breakfast. I bought two griddles and had a field day cooking eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and then toasting some bagels for some great breakfast sandwiches.

Even the quality of the materials used to make the Mak are first rate.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Craig,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
This purchase is not price driven and it is not 100 % " Made in USA " driven.
But it is quality and value driven and what is best going to suit my needs.
I am 110 % SOLD on the Mak quality and all the other features that this Mfg has and continues to think of.
The searing part is what is holding me back.
I am going to sit back and think this over and will be making an informed decision shortly
Much appreciate all the detailed info all posters have provided

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think craig was telling you that he felt it was not well made and there were issues with the size of the four zones....

Ill let you in on a secret...most of us are on our second or third grill so this wont be your last one no matter which way you go. good luck and enjoy smoking with pellets.

SHarpGator

I am in the process of making the same decision. I decided against the PEG1000 because of all the comments about it getting ash all over your food. The MAK folks on these forums sure seem happy.

Top Bottom