Mak 1 Star #174

RickB

Poppa, I was going to foil the final hour. I haven't been doing this for long so I'm open to change.

I used to not foil at all. I love my bark. But got a little tired of those 13 hour cooks even with the mak. Now i pretty much foil at 165 it or the stall whichever is sooner. Then i take it out of foil about 190 it to firm up the bark. The foil at stall will knock 2-3 hours off that cook if your cooking at 225.

Last edited:

Gregoryalln

Ok, what temp do you recommend cooking at? I knew my traeger didn't cook as efficient, so i compensated to dial it in. Also I used to add a water can in the grill, is that no longer needed?

Carter13

If you want a temp of 225 on the top rack set the pelletboss for 255-265.
I do not use any water cans with my Mak nor did I use them with my Traeger.

Big Poppa

Administrator
This temp differential depends on the kind of pellets and batch. I always check with a maverick. Lately it's been hotter on that shelf as heat rises

MAK DADDY

It also depends on what temperature your cooking at higher temps will change the radiant heat off the pan & higher fan speeds push the heat around more. Try not to get to wrapped up in all that, you won't even notice the difference unless you are doing competition bbq on a time schedule or something. Just set it to the temp you want and have fun, the MAK will take care of the rest :)

Carter13

That is not what I have found to be happening on my 1 Star Sterling and Bob.
I have ran my Maverick 732 and it reads within 5 degrees of the pelletboss on the bottom rack at 225. On the top rack however my Maverick consistantly reads 30 to 40 degrees cooler than the pelletboss. I use Bear Mountain pellets BTW.
In this thread http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/actual-mak-1-grill-temps-3282/ you will see how long it took to do a couple bonless 7 pound shoulders.
I cook between 225 and 275 and I keep getting the 30 to 40 degrees difference on the top rack. Not sure what the difference is at higher temps.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Maybe it's that cool Northwest air :) My point is to 99% of the grill owners shouldn't worry about it, they will get great results by just setting the Pellet Boss to the desired temp and smoking away.

Big Poppa

Administrator
carter I had the issue with hot running at the royal cool with the next batch and now im right on...I believe that it is pellets more than anything...But what Bob is saying is that either way your pellet boss at 225 is 225 at that point and if you cook at that you will get great results. Try this super monitoring on your home oven you will be shocked

Carter13

Sterling,

A few months ago I actually did run my 732 in our gas oven and was pleasantly surprised to see only a 6 degree fluctuation on all the rack locations.

Big Poppa

Administrator
carter you have a great oven..what is the point of this argument/hijack? I have a brisket on the shelf of my one star....the temp is set to 300 the maverick probe is on the shelf on the right side in the middle...it is running 325.

sparky

i don't probe my maks. if i set it to 225° and let the mak worry about the temp. its bbq not rocket science. enjoy the great food that comes off the maks. simple.

Carter13

Sterling,

My original post was not a hijack at all. I was just trying to tell a fellow 1 Star owner what I have been experiencing. Plain and simple.
Bottom line is everyone needs to get to know their grill and work with it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah carter read the rules... simple state your point someone else states theirs and from there either take it to pm or move on.

Your original post was what you say above...its after that where it just gets messy...I tried to tell you that I had the same issue got the next batch of pellets and have the opposite issue with heat....Can we please move on and accept that this has gone a little haywire? thanks

Top Bottom