Mak wifi timing out after router change. ATTN Mak Daddy

Mowat

I swapped routers/firewalls recently and now the wifi is not connecting and timing out. I'm very familiar with the concepts/technology. But this one has me baffled. All rules allow outgoing connections which is all this should need. And the ruleset is almost identical to the previous router.

Can you tell me what ports the control talks out on? so that I can filter through the connection logs and see where it's being dropped.

Router is a DSL-2750B with Verizon's OEM firmware version 5.4.12.1.44 with the "Typical security Policy" enabled.

Life without remote monitoring is boring !!

Mowat

It's getting a DHCP address it's happy about that. And it's staying connected to the access point. Just won't connect out. I will setup a static entry for it just in case.

Mowat

Is it possible for these wifi modules to loose configuration information ?. I see it talking but it's trying to talk back to itself almost as if it lost the configuration to talk to back to the home server.

This looks like it's query setup on initial connection.

10.1.1.17 = the Mak2

9:46:09.745895 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 105, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 138)
10.1.1.17.2000 > 255.255.255.255.55555: [udp sum ok] UDP, length 110
E....i......
.Time NOT SET..WiFly Ver 2.38.1, 12-17-2012MAK-WiFi809a35....................................
09:46:10.888892 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 106, offset 0, flags [none], proto TCP (6), length 44)
10.1.1.17.55290 > 0.0.0.0.80: Flags , cksum 0x8c47 (correct), seq 7259, win 3072, options [mss 1500], length 0
E..,.j.....P
..........P...[....`....G......
09:46:13.889858 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 107, offset 0, flags [none], proto TCP (6), length 44)
10.1.1.17.55290 > 0.0.0.0.80: Flags , cksum 0x8c47 (correct), seq 7259, win 3072, options [mss 1500], length 0
E..,.k.....O
..........P...[....`....G......
09:46:16.937156 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 108, offset 0, flags [none], proto TCP (6), length 44)
E..,.l.....N
..........P...[....`....G...…

But of course it's talking 0.0.0.0 instead of a valid outside address. Almost as if it isn't getting a DNS resolution. I don't see a DNS query but I do see ARP requests from the router back to the module that aren't being answered.

Double checking the DNS entry in the DHCP. But since that server has many other devices on it that aren't having issues that doesn't sound likely.

Mowat

Ok… update…

Got it working sorta.

DNS was the issue but still not sure why or how.

the Dlink provides DNS services by advertising and setting itself as the DNS server for the DHCP clients. It then simply forwards the requests to the configured DNS servers. Unfortunately there is not any really good logging on this router(one of the reason's I hate them ). So I can't see how the DNS requests are being denied.

The solution was to turn off all DNS services on the router and "TRY" to set static DNS entries to be delivered to the wifi unit. Which once that was done it connected to the web no issues.

However that broke all the other clients as the DHCP server was simply not putting out any DNS servers. The fact the wifi worked puzzles me I can only assume it has hardcoded DNS servers in it ??. I was able to hardcode local entries in my laptop so I could verify the MAK was talking.

also Previous router didn't act as a DNS server just simply gave out the DNS server IP's in it's DHCP scope.

Now to either find out how to make this router give out static DNS address or to figure out what the MAK is asking for.

Kite

Standard practice is to assign the DNS address as the firewall address - that is normal. You mention DNS and ARP - they really don't have anything to do with each other (apples and oranges). Furthermore, if you have other devices on your network using DHCP and are not having internet connection issues, then DNS is not likely to be your problem. Unfortunately I do not know what kind of testing/information gathering tools are available on the MAK wifi. But here is what I would suggest:

Reboot *everything*. Turn everything off. Then turn on the modem (or modem/router if that is what you have). Wait 5 minutes and check any/all lights for appropriate state.

Start the MAK wifi module and wait for it to connect. Determine the IP address if you can.

Start a computer on your network. Wait for it to connect. Ping the IP of your router, if successful ping 4.2.2.2, if successful ping yahoo.com, if successful ping the MAK. If all pings are successful, test connection to your MAK.

If the connection to your MAK still does not work, reply to the thread with the IP, subnet mask, and gateway of your MAK, computer, and firewall.

I hope this helps!!

TentHunter

If you're still havong issues, in addition to what Kite said, here are a few more things to try.

First, Verizon & ATT modem/router combos can be a real pain. I always suggest getting a regular DSL Modem and use your own router.

Two weeks ago I had a similar disconnect issue happen with a client's wireless printer on an ATT DSL modem/router. It turned out to be the router's firewall detecting the printer as an intrusion, and I had to setup a DMZ rule for the printer's IP.

Another common issue is a lot of WiFi traffic in your neighborhood using the same WiFi Channel. Sometimes simply switching to a different WiFi channel clears up issues.

Now this one is going to seem really out there, but try setting your router's WPA Pre-shared Key/Passphrase to 13 characters (no more, no less). Years ago I read an article about the algorithms used to create security keys and for whatever reason a 13 character passphrase is more compatible with more devices. I know it sounds crazy, but you would not believe how many times this has worked to clear up connection issues.

Last edited:

Mowat

Standard practice is to assign the DNS address as the firewall address - that is normal. You mention DNS and ARP - they really don't have anything to do with each other (apples and oranges). Furthermore, if you have other devices on your network using DHCP and are not having internet connection issues, then DNS is not likely to be your problem. Unfortunately I do not know what kind of testing/information gathering tools are available on the MAK wifi. But here is what I would suggest:

Reboot *everything*. Turn everything off. Then turn on the modem (or modem/router if that is what you have). Wait 5 minutes and check any/all lights for appropriate state.

Start the MAK wifi module and wait for it to connect. Determine the IP address if you can.

Start a computer on your network. Wait for it to connect. Ping the IP of your router, if successful ping 4.2.2.2, if successful ping yahoo.com, if successful ping the MAK. If all pings are successful, test connection to your MAK.

If the connection to your MAK still does not work, reply to the thread with the IP, subnet mask, and gateway of your MAK, computer, and firewall.

I hope this helps!!

DNS is the issue. If you read through what I posted. What I am presenting is the tcpdump information from the network. So my IP assignment and the function of the wireless connection is working fine. Connection to the wifi unit is working fine.

However the unit is unable to contact the makmobile site.

If you're still havong issues, in addition to what Kite said, here are a few more things to try.

First, Verizon & ATT modem/router combos can be a real pain. I always suggest getting a regular DSL Modem and use your own router.

Two weeks ago I had a similar disconnect issue happen with a client's wireless printer on an ATT DSL modem/router. It turned out to be the router's firewall detecting the printer as an intrusion, and I had to setup a DMZ rule for the printer's IP.

Another common issue is a lot of WiFi traffic in your neighborhood using the same WiFi Channel. Sometimes simply switching to a different WiFi channel clears up issues.

Now this one is going to seem really out there, but try setting your router's WPA Pre-shared Key/Passphrase to 13 characters (no more, no less). Years ago I read an article about the algorithms used to create security keys and for whatever reason a 13 character passphrase is more compatible with more devices. I know it sounds crazy, but you would not believe how many times this has worked to clear up connection issues.

I used to have this as a 2 device setup until a power surge decided to take out my sonicwall. Wireless connection is good and strong to it with no issues.

I got it to WORK. However the only way to accomplish it was to turn OFF DNS services in the Dlink. Once I did that it connected immediately. Of course the rest of the network was down. But I turned it back on after the Mak had made the initial connection and it didn't drop it(assuming it cached the name resolution).

Now the question to Mak is why…
What name is the grill trying to connect too?
What ports is it using to connect out of the module?( the only connection I seen on the snoop was web/80)
Does it have hardcoded DNS servers listed if it can't get one from the DHCP server.?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Mowat in all fairness..we want you running. We really do...but this in a forum to share ideas and sometimes we are all collectively great for solving technical customer service issues. The best and most efficient way to solve most manufacturers customer service issues is with them.

Im sure if you contacted MAK this morning they can get things working fine.

Let me know how this works...also if you bought the unit from us we will be involved in the solution with MAK

Mowat

Ohh completely understood Big Poppa. I was just using the forum to put it out there and see what I could find over the weekend and I know Mak watches the forum.

I did buy it from you and it was a good transaction and I fully expect support from Mak. I've been lurking here for awhile it was the biggest reason why I bought a Mak and from you.

While the wifi not working is annoying it didn't keep me from making the ribs and pork butt I had to make this weekend :) so it wasn't a huge deal.

I will email support and let you know what we come up with.

MAK DADDY

Yes we are always ready to help as well! [email protected]

The Wi-Fi connection can be tricky for some router scenarios and others connect the first try and never look back. We are not IT experts but will give whatever advice we can to get you cooking wireless with your MAK. We continue to learn more ways to improve the product from customers as we go so your feedback is appreciated.

Have fun!
Bob

Top Bottom