Meat temp went down.

krakrjaks

Using my 075, I had four pork butts on at 7PM last night. I have two mavericks and plugged them int the two at each end. I have a 40 deg BBQ temp difference from left to right. Right is higher. From what I have read this sounds normal. At 5AM the meat temp on the right was 183 and then all of a sudden started dropping. Dropped all the way down to 155. At this point I pulled the probe and re-inserted it. Now at 8:30 AM it is 172. What do you think happened? I hope it's ok because this is going to be for our church picnic today.

krakrjaks

Once every couple hours I was spraying with apple juice. The lid stayed open for less than a minute. I don't think that could have been it. I am now sitting on over 14 hrs and it's 180. :confused:

ajstrider

Your probe may have been too close to the bone, I hear that messes up the temperature probes correct reading. It sounds like you are not using the foil technique. Generally when my butts hit 150 degrees, I wrap them in foil and spritz them with apple juice before fully sealing them up in the foil. This speeds up the cooking process and seems to make the meat more tender. After around 140 degrees, the meat stops absorbing smoke flavor and you are simply cooking from here on out. Some people even pull them off the smoker and just put them in the oven to finish them off. Using the aluminum foil will speed up the cooking by at least a few hours, or it seems to for me anyways.

Pappymn

I did two seven pound boneless butts last weekend, and they took 16 hours at 225 with no foil. Best ones by far.

muebe

The probe may also have been in a fat pocket. When the fat finally rendered it cooled the probe.

Big_Jake

Yeah that does not sound like you had to door open too long at all.I am going with the "to close to the bone" or "fat pocket" suggestions.

wneill20

BP may want to chime in but when the meat sweats it will cool down. I have never seen it drop that far but it is possible.

krakrjaks

Your probe may have been too close to the bone, I hear that messes up the temperature probes correct reading. It sounds like you are not using the foil technique. Generally when my butts hit 150 degrees, I wrap them in foil and spritz them with apple juice before fully sealing them up in the foil. This speeds up the cooking process and seems to make the meat more tender. After around 140 degrees, the meat stops absorbing smoke flavor and you are simply cooking from here on out. Some people even pull them off the smoker and just put them in the oven to finish them off. Using the aluminum foil will speed up the cooking by at least a few hours, or it seems to for me anyways.

It seems to me you will loose the bark if you put them in foil. I would think it would make that bark soft. Do you still get a good bark?

Top Bottom