My first fire on the new grill!

Acill

So I decided to fire up the grill for the first time today and see how things went. I wanted to keep it simple and do something I know I could fix if things didnt go as well as I wanted them with the heat. I did some chicken thighs with a dry rub sample I got. Its was called "Butt Rub" and as funny as the name, the rub was not funny! Damn tasty stuff!

So I turned up the grill to 400 and ran it for an hour like I was told to do by the manual. The first thing I noticed was the ash gets all over the place in the cooker. Its not that bad, just not what I am used to seeing I guess.

Once the cooker was cool I opened it all up and checked to make sure everything looked like I thought it should. As far as I could tell everything was great. The ash pot wasnt to full, no clogs in the holes and all the pans looked ready to go. I next let it get to 275 for my cook.

For the chicken I took a large pack and trimmed all the fat and skin off. My wife wont touch it with the skin and fat, and I wanted to make sure my $1100 investment wasnt going to make her feel like the $300 gas grills she has got me in the past were just fine.

So in the foil pan they go, run on and in the cooker for the initial 45 minutes. When the time was up I removed the chicken from the pan and flipped em over on the indirect side of the grill. Put the rub on the new side and closed it up for another 45 minutes for some smoke. I came back and they looked amazing! I then dipped them into my sweet heat sauce and put them back in for another 10 minutes to let them glaze over, followed by a couple minutes on the direct heat side for some grill marks.

This was the final result! I am very happy with this grill so far. Getting it seasoned is going to take some time, but I think it will be a great cooker once I get the temps all worked out and learn some more skills!

chicken_zps0a8f1c41.jpg

So Cal Smoker

Congrats, you have the first cook under your belt. Now have fun and don't shy away from trying new things to cook. Good luck and good smoking.

Acill

Im thinking I want to step it up and try a pork shoulder. Im just looking for a good guide and recipe for one. I want to be able to make some good sandwiches with it and just dont know where to start. Im one of those "read all about it to death" types before I start anything.

Top Bottom