My first pellet cook: a bacon explosion

PaulyT

Decided that it would be fitting to christen my new grill (a Daniel Boone by Green Mountain) with none other than a bacon explosion - which I've had before at a friend's but have been unable to cook myself until now. So here we go! I'm going pretty much straight by the original recipe from bbq addicts, just using the sauce (Firebug hot) and rub (made by Meadow Creek, a local grilling company) that I already had.

The raw ingredients:
DSC8871-M.jpg

The weave, from thick-cut bacon:
DSC8874-M.jpg

BBQ rub applied to the weave, sausage (sage flavored, it's just what we had on hand), and crispy cooked bacon:
DSC8879-M.jpg

Layered and sauce applied:
DSC8882-M.jpg

All rolled up! My only addition to the recipe is an engineering one: I took some extra pieces of bacon and wrapped them around the ends, tucking into the side weave, mostly because my wrap was a little small for the amount of sausage, and it was kinda bulging at the seams...
DSC8886-M.jpg

On the grill (set to 225) and ready to go!
DSC8889-M.jpg

Now just gotta wait ~2 hours for the internal meat temp to reach 165, and hope it doesn't completely fall apart on the grill, though I'm not too worried. But I've never done this before, so I'm being brave and posting pics before the product is finished. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tatonka3A2

Excellent so far!!! I just seen this recipe on Facebook over the weekend and thought it looked great!!

Can't wait to see the results.....

Last edited:

PaulyT

Success!

Straight off the grill:
DSC8891-M.jpg

With a light glaze of the same sauce used on the inside:
DSC8894-M.jpg

And the inside. Ok so my roll was a little flattened... the sausage I was using was pretty soft, hard to keep it in a round shape and I think slumped a bit more while cooking.
DSC8896-M.jpg

And of course, the important bit: the taste. It's pretty yummy, I'd say! I think it worked out very well, the sausage was on the salty side which complemented well with the (intentionally) sweet sauce. The outside bacon had a nice smoky flavor, so the grill worked well in that respect. I probably coulda used a little more of the sauce on the inside, but drizzling a little on the cut piece before eating works fine.

Good thing I'm doing low-carb, because that makes this health food. :p

Anyway, I declare this a good first experiment with my new toy!

sparky

now thats a proper fattie. well done. i'm impressed w/ your cutting board. did you make that? i see walnut, oak and a 2 other woods in there. great cutting board partner.

PaulyT

Thanks, all.

Sparky - I wish I had the skills for that! No it's just a store-bought board, not even sure what the woods are.

ACW3

Now that is a great way break in a new grill!!! It looks mighty tasty, Paul. What's next?

Art

Chili Head

So many things you can do with those..limit less.
Next time try a breakfast fatty with sausage, hashbrowns and veggies. You could even put whole hard boiled eggs in them. Make some sausage gravy to pour over the slices..oh my!

PaulyT

Yeah, I've been thinking about how to include green chile in one of these things, for a New Mexican twist (I grew up in Los Alamos).

Top Bottom