My first shoulder!

Acill

Well here we go. I just got done with prep and its in the fridge up to just before I go to bed at 10 or so tonight. I plan to put it in the PG100 at about 225 for the night and see where we are in the morning.

It started out as a 10.25 shoulder before I took the skin cap off of it. The rub and injection I made is as follows.

For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Wish me luck, Im a bit nervous about this one. Ive got a remote read internal thermometer all set up and ready to go. Ive been told to take it off and let it rest once it gets to an internal of 195 for pulling. Is this correct?
And the pictures as I was getting it all ready:

RickB

I would pull at 195-200 and FTC for 2-3 hours. should be good to go. Hope you plan on eating around 12- 2pm.

Last edited:

TentHunter

That's a nice size picnic shoulder, and I like your rub & injection. You should end up with some really good eats! Can't wait to see the final result.

BTW - What's your GPS coordinates and what time is lunch/dinner? Oh, and I like slaw on my pulled pork sandwiches! ;)

Acill

How long do you think it will take to cook? Should I put it in early in the morning instead?

TentHunter

At 225° you're looking at a good 8 - 10 hours of cook time (if you don't foil). If you want it for supper, then early in the morning will work.

I'd allow 12 hours.

If it get's done sooner (which it probably will) no problem, just FTC - wrap it in Foil, followed by a large Towel and stick it in a Cooler to hold it. It will stay hot for a good four hours easily.

Acill

Got up at 4am and put the shoulder in the cooker. So far its looking nice! I just sprayed a mixture of apple juice and the rub on it. Should I be spraying it through the process? Ive read some prefer to do this, others dont mention it at all.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Acill said:
Should I be spraying it through the process?

In my opinion... NO!!! I did a mop/spray a couple times way-y-y-y back when... didn't take long to realize all it really does is cause wild temp swings and extend the cooking time every time you open the grill. It does nothing to keep the meat moist. Just leave it shut and let the bark develop and the roast cook. No peeking either - I know it's hard, but resist the urge and trust your temps and thermometer. Remember; if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!

Last edited:

Acill

Man this thing is taking FOREVER! Its been on 225 since 4am and its 3:47pm now here in Arizona. Internal temps are 148. I bumped it up to 240 on the cooker to speed things up a bit after talking to a guy over at my local BBQ place. He said with the picnic roasts it takes a tad more heat?

In any case I hope its done by 6 tonight!

Acill

Im going to foil it and double check with another probe. Its been 14 hours and its still at 147. I just bought another probe to compaire, but its working as far as I can tell. Its just a huge piece of meet.

piggy D

Mine was 10.1/2 lbs and took 15. 1/2 hrs. To get to 200° it also was a picnic roast hope this helps to also smoked at 225°

Acill

I pulled it and put it in a foil pan, then put a sheet of heavy foil on the top. Its also pressed in tight all over the butt. The pan was just easy to make getting it out, and back in faster. I used three different probe and all showed it at 155 at the time I took it out. Its now in again at 315. Those probes went in with next to no resistance. I think its getting close.

Im putting the probe in to the bone in the center. That should be the way to do it right? Even my instant read is showing this temp though, so Im sure its correct.

Oh, and it looks AWESOME!!!!!!

Last edited:

scooter

I'd be interested to hear if the 2 TBS of Worcestershire in the injection was out of balance with the other ingredients. It's pretty strong stuff.
I put the probe in the center of the meat, not near, or in, the bone

Last edited:

Acill

Keep an eye on this page! I just hit 180 and its moving steady up!!! How long should I let it sit before I start to pull? A good 30 minutes Ive read so far. Im doing this tonight! Im eating some of this. LONGEST 15 hours of my life man, LOL!

Make that 185

Last edited:

Acill

Its out! It got a bit moist and lost some fluid in the foil, but I think for a first effort its looking good. I'll get some post pull pics up here in a bit. Its hot hot hot right now.

Top Bottom