My weekend sausage forray...

nepas

Nice job TH

The Amish use the cotton sausage bags here. So i figured its cheaper to make em than to buy em.

Try something different with the bags next time. Soak them in water with 3 Tbs of apple liquid smoke for 2 hours. Take em out let em dry then stuff.........Nice

TentHunter

Being so close to Amish country in Ohio, I can see the Amish influence in your sausages. I remember your posts about Ring or Trail Bologna. In fact Troyer's Trail Bologna isn't far from us at all.

I want to try to making some sometime, so I'll be asking lots of questions when that time comes :p.

I will definitely need a better grinder first though.

nepas

Being so close to Amish country in Ohio, I can see the Amish influence in your sausages. I remember your posts about Ring or Trail Bologna. In fact Troyer's Trail Bologna isn't far from us at all.

I want to try to making some sometime, so I'll be asking lots of questions when that time comes :p.

I will definitely need a better grinder first though.

Ask away

I have the Cabelas 1/2 hp. I found its good enough for what i do and it goes through meat like crazy. I ended up buying the jerky slicer for it also, Gotta count yer fingers after using that.

TentHunter

Followup Report:

This quote is copied from another thread:
...TH, The longer the Summer Sausage sits for the smoke to marry with the meat the better...

Oh my word, is that ever true! I finally cut open the second Beef Summer Sausage yesterday to make a meat & cheese tray to take to Church. After sitting for a week the mix of Hickory and Apple smoke flavor was very mellow and absolutely not overwhelming at all!

The Summer Sausage was a huge hit! As was the Andouille and the smoked cheeses. I had to refill the tray twice. People kept asking, "Did you really make this?"

One other note: I am so glad I decided to reduce the salt levels by 25 - 35% for all of the sausages. I asked folks to comment on spice, salt, smoke level, etc. Absolutely no one thought they needed more salt.

My one friend who doesn't even like summer sausage ate several pieces. He says the store bought stuff is just too strong for him, but this was milder and he could actually enjoy it.

Thanks again Deb & NePaS for all your help and advice! I learned a lot & now feel confident that I can make some cured sausages. Thanks to everyone else too for the encouragement. This forum ROCKS! The great sausage experiment will continue...

jimsbarbecue

I just ordered my Christmas present a LEM #8 meat grinder. I wil give it a whirl and let you know how it does. One of the features I checked was overall weight and I didn't need to grind a hog a hour.

Top Bottom