New here

mpmontero

Hey everyone,
Im Manny and I'm new to the forum and new to pellet smoking.
I've been pretty much reading everything I can about pellet smoking, different kinds of smokers and techniques before I finally went out and bought one.

My house doesn't have a lot of space on the back patio (Ca Bay area, land is in short supply) so I didn't want to have anything that took up a lot of space. I ended up getting an Englander pellet grill because I also like to grill. I liked that it had a direct heat cast iron grill over the flame for searing and grilling as well as a decent size indirect cooking area.

So far, I am happy with it, the direct flame hit about 700 degrees according to my IR temp gun and my first pork butt came out decent, but.....

I notice that when I set the thermostat for the smoker, the temperature goes well above that during cooking and I have to either adjust it or crack one of the doors open.
Is this normal due to outside conditions (85 degrees outside)?
Is this just a case of me needing to get used to my smoker and understanding how it cooks?
I understand that it will heat up quite a bit before the auger stops running and the temp lowers and balances out, but I had it set to 170 and it was still hitting about 260 consistently.
After I cracked one of the doors open, it stayed around 215-230, which is where I wanted it.

I used the cookingpellets.com perfect mix pellets.
Outside temp was around 85 degrees most of the day.

I appreciate any info I can get :)

So Cal Smoker

First & foremost welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for fun and sharing. Your sentence "Is this just a case of me needing to get used to my smoker and understanding how it cooks?" This is a vary large part of pellet cooking that requires some time and patience. Keeping a log of your cooks is very helpful and can make getting to know your pit much easier.
As for the wild temp swings, I would contact the manufacture and or the dealer you bought the Englander from and question them. Either way the best of luck and good smoking.

TentHunter

First & foremost welcome to the forum... As for the wild temp swings, I would contact the manufacture and or the dealer you bought the Englander from and question them.

I agree on both counts.

Welcome to the forum, from NE Ohio. Be sure and get some pics of the food you're cooking so we can share in the smoky goodness!

mpmontero

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the welcomes and the info.
I've been having better luck once I figured out the timing of the preheat, and, what times of day Ill be cooking at (external temp)
I'll be sure to get some pics up of the pork butt and the lamb chops I have made.
I did some other stuff but I didn't take any pics.

Good call on the cooking log. It's a great idea and I'll be doing that so I can reference techniques I used and the results.

Thanks again,
-Manny

scooter

I grew up in Walnut Creek and have lived most of my life in the area including Concord. Lived just off Monument Dr for years before buying a house out here in Antioch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpmontero

I grew up in Walnut Creek and have lived most of my life in the area including Concord. Lived just off Monument Dr for years before buying a house out here in Antioch.

Cool.
My wife and I bought a place a few years ago in the Claycord area. Back of Concord on the border of Clayton and Walnut Creek.

scooter

That's where my brother lives. He's off of Rolling Woods way. Small world!

Top Bottom