Ohio Amish Country in the Winter

TentHunter

Sort of Off Topic...

Ohio's Amish settlement is the largest anywhere and less than an hour's drive from us. If there's one thing the Amish know, it's how to make cheese. So, over the weekend we decided to take a trip for some good food and some of that good cheese!

I forgot to grab the camera so all I got were some cell phone pics, but you can still see how beautiful Ohio Amish Country is, even in the winter.
AMISH01.JPG

On the main roads they actually have a lane marked just for horse drawn buggy & cart traffic.
AMISH02.JPG

Our Destination: Heini's Cheese Chalet - Bunker Hill, Ohio.
AMISH03.JPG

I guess for quick trips, a bike is easier than hitching up a horse (the Amish don't really care to have their picture taken. he gave me a scowl when he saw my cell phone, so I waited till he passed)...
AMISH04.JPG

Heini's showroom - These folks are in line sampling over 50 kinds of cheese. You bet I got in line too!
AMISH05.JPG

Here's some of what we picked up. It'll be headed for the smoker this week.
AMISH09.JPG

More pics...
AMISH06.JPG

Corn Shocks lined up in a field. This is a way of drying & storing the corn until needed.
AMISH07.JPG

AMISH10.JPG

AMISH08.JPG

The scenery alone was well worth the drive.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FLBentRider

Nice pics Cliff!

Where my family lives in PA there are Amish as well. They don't get their own lane, and those buggies do a number on the roads.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I visit Meadow Creek who are amish and I could not believe that Cheese and the BOLOGNA!!!!! I dont eat Bologna...this is oof the charts especially the garlic bologna

delsurf

I live in Delaware and one of the things I love is being able to see a small piece of the Amish culture. I have my deer processed by a Amish butcher, shop at a Amish deli in a local bazaar and buy other Amish products when I run across them. Really cool!

Top Bottom