Pellet boxes/tins for charcoal grills

Kevinish

Hey all,

For those of you still using charcoal grills but adding pellets for smoke, can you recommend a good pellet box/tin/holder? I know I can make a pocket of with aluminum foil and I've done this for a while, but I would like to have a nice cast iron or steel box to hold the pellets.

Does anyone use this one?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

sparky

i have been thinking about getting that one also. i wanted to talk to TH about it. no holes in it. like the idea.

scooter

I have that one but have never used it in my charcoal grill. I bought it to try as a smoke generator in my pellet cooker. Never really worked very well in the pellet cooker. In a charcoal grill it should work better. Will try it this weekend!

Meat Man

Bbqr's delight has a cast iron crock/ pot that one an put hard wood pellets in. Candy says they work great!

TentHunter

I have one of the cast Iron pellet pots and it does work great. It takes a little longer to heat up and get the pellets smouldering than a foil pouch, so put it on the coals before you put the food on and you'll be fine.

Fill it up all the way and it will provide about an hours worth of smoke. Don't freak out and think its not working just because you don't get a white billowing cloud of smoke (which you don't want anyway). Instead it'll be a nice light blue smoke, at times hard to see, that will provide a lot of clean smoke flavor.

One more note: It's cast iron so seasoning it to keep it from rusting.

Here's a recent pic of mine in action:
CARIBS01.JPG

Top Bottom