Pellet mix question

chrisbax

Hi Gang
I'm a new owner of a MAK 1 Star. Interested in members input on the best blend for the following cooks:
1. Ribs
2. Chicken
3. Pulled Pork
4. Brisket
I see some guys using blends (for example) of 60% maple and 40% apple for ribs, but a different blend for other meats. Any experience would be appreciated. Mak recommends using alder and oak based with a flavor. Also talked to MAK today and evidently, 100% hickory and other 100% pellets can make the Mak auger finicky.
Thanks

KyNola

Welcome to the MAK family. I don't run a blend of pellets but that's just my preference. I burn BBQ Delight hickory pellets, an oak based pellet with hickory wood added to the pellet.

I can positively verify that running 100% hickory pellet in your MAK will cause issues with your firepot.

scooter

I don't blend either. I tried it for a bit then stopped having felt the trouble was not worth the payout. I used BD Hickory for years and loved them but my supplier changed to GMG Premium which are great pellets as well.

And welcome to the MAK family!

TentHunter

I do change pellets based on what I'm cooking. I still think that a lot of the difference in wood flavors comes more from the smell, which in turn affects the taste. In some cases it's not just about the flavor, but the color I'm after as well.

Here are my favorite pellet flavors:

Oak and Hickory: Both are good all-around pellet flavors that will work with anything. Oak is more non-descript, whereas hickory has some richer slightly salty, savory overtones. A lot of folks describe hickory as a bacony smell.

Pecan: If you like Hickory, then you will also like Pecan. Pecan is actually a type of hickory, so it tastes like hickory, but generally has a lighter taste profile.

Black Walnut: Like a more robust Hickory (it's related to hickory).

Apple: Fruit woods generally give a lighter sweeter smell to the food. One exception to this, in my opinion, is Apple. I like to describe it as a heavier, slightly sweet, campfire smell that penetrates quite well. That's why I like using it for smoking Bacon.

Chicken/Poultry: I like Apple or Cherry best. Both give a nice flavor and smell to poultry. Cherry will give a reddish mahogany patina and Apple will give a chestnut brown color.

Pork/Ribs: Straight Hickory is great. I love a Hickory/Apple blend even better. The two play very well together.

Beef/Lamb: Oak, Black Walnut

You can never go wrong with oak. It's the classic wood used in Texas with beef.

Or... for something a little more robust that stands up to beef well, my favorite is Black Walnut.

Mesquite is a very strong, spicy flavor, so if you use it, mix it sparingly with some oak. A little mesquite mixed with apple is a very interesting blend.

That's my 2¢ worth, if it's still worth that much these days! ;)

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Oak first choice. Cherry second. Apple third. TentHunter nailed it. When cooking over 375 the type doesn't matter as far as overall flavor is concerned.

Top Bottom