Pellets

CarterQ

I want my pellet consumption to be high, cause that means I'm cooking every day and life is good :)

I have no idea what good or bad pellet consumption is but on my MAK it seems very reasonable for the results I achieve, and generally my numbers fall right around Mak Daddy's. Take other sites with a grain of msg and trust what happy customers say no matter the brand of unit.

When you have a Ferrari in the garage you don't complain about the gas :cool:

Candy Sue

The one and only pellet Jambo uses from 50 to 110 pounds depending on the weather! Actually, wind seems to make more difference than anything. Wet just seems to make things cook quicker. Neat thing is that it takes about 30 minutes to get to cooking temp, then it holds really steady.

BBQr's Delight's Pellet Jambo

Bear

Candy Sue,

Where can a guy get a pellet feeder like that? I've got a tank that I would like to make a big smoker out of, and I would love for it to be pellet fired. I had been wondering if you could put the heat source on one end like a stick burner, and make it work. I guess you have answered that question already.

txpgapro

Jaime probably makes the best or one of the best sticker burners around. Many of his smokers are found at competitions and are big winners, especially in Texas and here in central TX. I didn't know he had configured a pellet system for it. I bet it was pretty pricey.

HoDeDo

Candy will chime in I'm sure.... but it is mounted on the door... so she can actually swap it out for the standard wood burning door. If I recall, I think Chris Hart Borrowed her Jambo once, and used the std. door on it instead of the pellet door. Her set up is really cool. Versatile, and unique... you wont find another pellet cooker like it out there :) And she is a pretty mean cook on it to boot!!!

But to answer another question... you can put a pellet pot/auger and fan on just about anything... size of the unit, if it is insulated, where the air flows through it, etc, dictates the size of the pellet pot, and the amount of convective air you need to cook evenly... IF you dont have a donor pellet unit, you can usually piece something together with a PID controller, a couple of Type K/J thermocouples, and an auger setup and pellet pot out of just about anything (pellet stoves, etc.) We have turned grade school proofers, a Kingfisher, several different things into pellet cookers. By we, I mean my sponsor... he has a welding shop with a brake, plasma table, and benders of various types... and he is crazy enough to cut just about anything up. We made a 4 tray rotisserie kingfisher into a gravity fed pellet cooker... and it burned about 6lbs per hour. We needed a small squirrel cage fan to put enough air through it to really make it a good cooker.... but definitely fun to play with.

Candy Sue

Candy will chime in I'm sure.... but it is mounted on the door... so she can actually swap it out for the standard wood burning door. If I recall, I think Chris Hart Borrowed her Jambo once, and used the std. door on it instead of the pellet door. Her set up is really cool. Versatile, and unique... you wont find another pellet cooker like it out there :) And she is a pretty mean cook on it to boot!!!

But to answer another question... you can put a pellet pot/auger and fan on just about anything... size of the unit, if it is insulated, where the air flows through it, etc, dictates the size of the pellet pot, and the amount of convective air you need to cook evenly... IF you dont have a donor pellet unit, you can usually piece something together with a PID controller, a couple of Type K/J thermocouples, and an auger setup and pellet pot out of just about anything (pellet stoves, etc.) We have turned grade school proofers, a Kingfisher, several different things into pellet cookers. By we, I mean my sponsor... he has a welding shop with a brake, plasma table, and benders of various types... and he is crazy enough to cut just about anything up. We made a 4 tray rotisserie kingfisher into a gravity fed pellet cooker... and it burned about 6lbs per hour. We needed a small squirrel cage fan to put enough air through it to really make it a good cooker.... but definitely fun to play with.

Thanks for the kind words, Andy!

Friend down in Decatur, AL has a pellet fire on a BGE. Uses it frequently too.

Top Bottom